1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Swapfile Size Change Won't Stick

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ulive1ce, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ulive1ce

ulive1ce Thread Starter

Hi,

I have two XP Pro (1 SP1 & 1 SP2) boxes with 512Mb of memory. The swapfile for each on disk is 785Mb. I want to increase the size of the swapfile. I go through the process via My Computer, etc. It seems to accept the new numbers, but the size doesn't change on disk. I even try to reboot afterwards, still no joy. I even went to the extent of telling it not to have a swapfile, reboot, then put the size in that I want. It does get built to that size, however, after the next reboot, the size is back at the 785Mb.

So, why does it revert back to 785Mb? And why can't I increase the size?

Thanks in advance for any sage wisdom that might point me in the right direction.

2. Septerra

Septerra

There is a set button u have to click on after setting the value before u close the window with the swapfile size.

3. ulive1ce

ulive1ce Thread Starter

Thanks...I did press the button in all cases. Also, to note, I defragged the drive before sizing larger.

Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/355016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice