1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP System Back Up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cora, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cora

Cora Thread Starter

To preserve my system and all the software on it, I wanted to learn how to back up Windows XP. It's one of those basic things everyone should know how to do, but I do not. So if someone could tell me I'd appreciate it. Or just point me in the right direction of where to get the info.

2. rude

rude

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup

3. oldie

oldie

Click "Start" - "All Programmes" - "Accessories" - "System Tools" - "Backup"

Regards - Oldie

4. oldie

oldie

rude that's rude :D beat me to it :D

5. Cora

Cora Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I had a virus and deleted it sucessfully with Norton this week. I realized however I don't back up my system like I should. A long time ago I had a virus and Norton didn't remove it, I lost everything and had to rebuild.

If I did system back up how would that help me when I get a computer virus? I feel stupid asking but am not sure once I back up the system where I would go to save the system when Norton fails to remove a virus.

6. rude

rude

It would help ,in that,if you do end up having to rebuild your system,you just have to pop in your backup disc(s) and everything is back the way it was before you caught the virus.

Just so you know,if Norton fails to remove a virus you can use other methods to remove it.There are lots of programs out there that will remove virii,trojans,worms, adware etc. and most of them are free.

7. spacemonkey

spacemonkey

hi guys im reading all the above and realise i need to back my system up however i dont have the menu option to back up like you explain in the system menu any reason y or how i get it?

8. Cora

Cora Thread Starter

O.K, then I guess I am asking how to make a back up disc.

9. oldie

oldie

Might I suggest that if you guys are new to XP - click start - programmes - accessories - Tour Windows XP and take it from there ?

Regards - Oldie

10. Cora

Cora Thread Starter

Thanks guys, will do!

11. rude

rude

Cora,if you follow the directions in my first post, the Backup Wizard will lead you through the backup process.

spacemonkey,you really should start a new thread for your problem.You could get lost in the shuffle and get no help...eg.I run xp pro and am not familiar with xp home's system tools however you could check out Help and Support or do a Google search.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice