1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp system reinstallation ERROR

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by demi4200, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. demi4200

demi4200 Thread Starter

yesterday i got an error with internet explorer and i uninstalled it and tried installing it but the install couldnt download the files it needed. so i decided to use my computers system restore disk. while i was reinstalling xp i get an error message that says this "unregmp2.exe - entry point not found, the entry point procudure GETIUMS could not locate the dynamic link lybrary MSDART.dll" and after that the install hangs. i retried the install but it didnt work and i cant do a clean install of xp cause i only have a system restore disk and not the full version on xp... what im wondering is if there is a way to use the system restore console to either install the missing .dll manualy or fix my comp from there???

2. Dingenium

Dingenium

If it is a "Restore" CD from a computer manufactuer, then it should not give you any error msgs when running through it. I would call the OEM and talk to them.

3. demi4200

demi4200 Thread Starter

some how the installation finished it self (i left it on today) but now i still have the error in internet explorer... on my fathers side of the computer i can access the net with internet explorer but on my side it still cant. and im also getting a installation error on my printer, where it once would auto recognized my printer in no longer does. and when i try to install from the list of drivers on xp it dosent work (i dont have a cd for this printer).

4. pileyrei

pileyrei

When you say your fathers side, do you mean when he logs on with his account?

Are you a local administrator on the pc? If not you wont be able to add printers (I think) and install things.

Good Luck

Pileyrei

5. avas_eyes

avas_eyes

Hi
    I was browsing through the topics so I hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in. ;)
    The same error happened to me. I also have a rescue disc and just couldn't fix anything.
    With me it took my network connections options away. It said I could only connect to the internet using Broadband (which I don't use).

I took my PC back to the shop where I purchased. They reformatted and reapplied Windows.
    It now works like a dream.
    Cost £25, but it was money worth spending. ;)
    Good Luck!

6. demi4200

demi4200 Thread Starter

i'd like to update this post with all the info i can...

hope this clears up all

in response to pileyrei:

yes im talking about my fathers account, and i have admin on this computer.

and in response to avas eyes:

i've thought about getting a copy of windows xp and reformatting.

UPDATE: on a whole the problems that still remain are these,

1) internet explorer does not work on my account but on my fathers account it does, right now im using opera.(this was actually the original problem :p)

2) on start up i get a new hardware dected message for a printer... i got the drivers for my printer and installed them and i still get this message on start up, this started happening when i reinstalled xp. and the message appears on both accounts.

anyone got any idea on how to fix these problems aside from reformating and installing xp fresh???(i want avoid that if i can)

7. demi4200

demi4200 Thread Starter

bump...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!