XP system restarting during boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

colorado97

I'm using a laptop, HP ze4805us, which is restarting automatically during the boot process. An error message is flashed briefly before it restarts:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

"If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

"Run a system diagnostic utility suppied by your hardware manufacturer. In particular run a memory check, and check for faulty or mismatched memory. Try changing video adapters.

"Disable or remove any newly installed hardware and drivers. Disable or remove any newly installed software. If you need to use safe mode to remove components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

"Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

I have used Memtest86 for several hours to check the memory and there were no errors reported. This error first occurred about 1 year ago, not long after I added a Crucial memory module. However, in testing the memory has always checked out ok. HP said it was a hard drive issue last time and replaced the hard drive, but the problem has occurred again. I really don't think it is a hard drive issue.

Can I restore WindowsXP? Should I just wipe out the hard drive and reinstall the OS? What to I do to track down the real problem? Is memory the issue even though it's checking out ok with some of the test software? Advice would be appreciated.
:(

colorado97

Yes, I viewed some of these sites and I wasn't really helped much. I see from the microsft article "General causes of "STOP 0x0000007F" errors", which is linked from the site you refer to that the message indicates a double fault error. Also according to Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=137539), the resolution is as follows:
• If either software or hardware can cause a particular trap, a debug is required to determine which is the cause. If you suspect a hardware problem, try the following hardware troubleshooting steps:
1. Test the RAM in the computer by running the diagnostic software that is provided by the computer manufacturer. Replace any RAM that is reported as bad. Also, make sure that all the RAM in the computer is the same speed.
2. Try removing or swapping out controllers, cards, or other peripherals.
3. Try a different motherboard on the computer.

Since the problem first occurred after installing the memory module (a year ago and error repeated only once since then), I still suspect the memory module is the culprit, but the memory test checks out ok. I haven't installed any other peripherals and I don't have an extra motherboard to swap into the system.

Is there another memory check I can perform? And, how do I restore the OS? I'm assuming that on restart, the pagefile.sys is keeping track of this error and not allowing me to boot properly. Is there a way to get past this error for now?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online