XP System Restore Errors- Help please!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shadow98fl

:confused:
I am completely unable to access my system restore in XP. 1st message says "system restore is unable to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run system restore again." Restarting does not help. 2nd message says "could not start the system restore service on local computer Error 3: the system cannot find the path specified." When I try to access it from the system restore tab in system properties, the error message is "RUNDLL An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL "C:\WINDOWS\System32\sysdm.cpl", System". From the system event viewer, it says the system restore initialization process failed. Error ID 104. It shows that every day as far back as the event viewer will show (6-5-04).
So far, I don't need to restore my computer, but I need to have that option, just in case!
If you need any other info (system, etc.) please let me know. I hope you can help me to correct this- starting from scratch and losing everything is not an acceptable option at this time.
Thanks in advance!

Is the SR service set to automatic and running? Have you changed any environment variables?

Try reinstalling it. Go to Folder Options in Control Panel, View tab, and be sure hidden files are unhidden.

Insert your XP CD. Exit if it pops up.

Go to your Windows\Inf folder and find sr.inf.

Right-click the file and choose "Install".

Reboot.

shadow98fl

(y) Elvandil, you rock!!!! (y)

I spent hours at the microsoft site, looking for something that I could use to fix my system restore- nothing even close. I did not know if I could reinstall a piece of windows XP, or how to go about it. I did exactly as you instructed, and yeahhhhh... system restore is back!! (I still have no idea what happened to it, but I'm not getting anal about it anymore) Once it was back, it gave my Norton anti-virus a hit, but Norton's site is way more helpful than microsofts! I got everything back to fully functional again!

You are definitely a microsoft MVP- If you don't already work for them, they're missing out!!

Thank you very much!! (y) :) (y)

what was that Norton's fix out of curiosity.... did it have a solution reference code?

Glad to hear you got it going. It really is amazing how many "pieces" of XP can be installed by themselves. There are various methods, but the inf one is the easiest when it works.

Thanks for the followup.

shadow98fl

I did the 2nd solution- as I checked to see that everything was checked in the system configuration utility, services- I unchecked then re-checked the norton/symantec related ones, applied, and it was functioning good as new.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online