1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP system restore failure... operating system failed to execute

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Oneiros, May 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oneiros

Oneiros Thread Starter

This morning I attempted to perform a system restore on my other computer. I legally own Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and was using the 3 system restore CDs provided by my manufacturer at the time I purchased the computer. If it matters, the computer is a Sony VAIO AMD Athlon.

I inserted the disk before booting up the computer, and everything seemed to go fine. The system restore screen loaded and I chose to do the recommended system restore, erasing all the files from my drive and restoring to the computer's original configuration.

It began performing the normal "Restoring Drive C:" operation. About 20 seconds into the restore, I received this error message:
    Disk Access: Sense Operation Failed

I hit "Okay," the only button available. I then received a message saying the system restore failed and my operating system may not perform correctly (what an understatement). I removed the system restore CD and rebooted my computer. I now get an error message, "The operating system has failed to execute." I can't do anything, except try to do another system restore, in which I receive the same "sense operation failed" error from before.

I tried calling their tech support to which I was told (after waiting 20 minutes to speak to someone) that because my limited warranty had expired, I would have to pay $19.99 per call to have it fixed. Yeah, right. Neither Sony nor Microsoft's online tech support pages were at all helpful.

I really don't care at all about the data on the drive, as I was doing a system restore because XP was barely operable and couldn't be fixed with virus/adware removal programs or by freeing up disk space. Is there anyway I can reverse or fix the system restore? I have no idea what the error means, but that's the only thing preventing me from doing a system restore.

I greatly appreciate any help and can provide any more information if needed.

2. papa1

papa1

Hi;
    I would guess that your CD is scratched or unreadable for some reason or that the CD Rom isn't reading properly. Give it a good wiping.
    I would just format and reload XP if you have a fully licensed disk. Takes 39 minutes or less and you'll have a nice clean install and you get to start over. However....... if you have only restore disks I am unsure as to whether you can do an install from them.
    Papa1

3. Oneiros

Oneiros Thread Starter

I'm nearly 100% certain that it isn't the disc or drive. I had stored all the documents and discs that came with my computer in a cabinet, still in the original sealed plastic bags, and just opened it right before attempting to do the restore. I also run other games and applications often from the same drive, so I think it should be working fine.

I don't believe I was given a disc for XP - the computer was a discounted display model that I bought at a reduced price. I'm not sure, but this could be the reason I wasn't given one. I'll check again in my cabinet/system discs to make sure though. I'll also try cleaning the disc, just to make sure that isn't the problem. Thanks for the quick response!

4. papa1

papa1

Oh,Oh;
    You may be in a spot of trouble. I've done a bit of asking around and it seems it's all but impossible to get out of your situation without a full reinstall as far as I know. Perhaps you could return to the store where you purchased the computer and "borrow" a set of repair discs. They would have to be specific to your brand and model,etc. I'm not real familiar with the repair disk route as I just purchase the actual OS Disk when I build my computers
    CDs are known to degrade over time( usually 18 mos to 3yrs. before errors begin to pop up ) so that could be a cause if the CDs are older. I have an original Win 98 disc that seems to install perfectly until you try to run the OS and then errors pop up everywhere.
    Another option is to purchase the XP upgrade disk( cheaper ) and maybe borrow an old Win 98 disk off someone and do a clean install of XP that way. You will need the 98 disk 'cause xp will say it can't find a previously installed OS and will ask for proof. You then insert the 98 CD and all's well. There are tons of internet links on how to do this. Just google it.
    Hope this helps.
    papa1

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!