1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP System Restore Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bobbert, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bobbert

Bobbert Thread Starter

I get and error when I try to use system restore.

When I run system restore from the help screen, I get "System Restore Application error signature AppName:rstrui.exe AppVer: 5.1.2600.1106 ModName: srrstr.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.1142 Offset 000095fa".

When I run Control Panel\System\System restore tab, it abends real quick and says: An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\windows\System32\sysdm.cpl",System"

Computer is a 2 yr old Dell 4500, 512 meg ram, 250 gig harddrive partitioned into c: 25 gig ntsf, and d: e: and f: 45 gig ntsf each. Operating system is XP professional, SP1 but NOT SP2. All regular automatic updates except SP2. 14 gig avail on C (system) drive.

One note: not original harddrive. Out of space 80 gig was replaced with WD 250 gig, using software that came with it to transfer old drive contents (I think the software from WD is called Lifeguard). Old 80 gig drive was then removed. Never had any known problem with the transfer, which was 6 months ago. System is very fast and does not lag.

Already tried chkdsk C: /F/V/R/X

I HAD used partition magic 7.0 on original 80 gig harddrive.

Any ideas?

2. dai

dai

try running
    sfc /scannow

3. Bobbert

Bobbert Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestion Dai. I did so this morning, and while it must have found something to repair (as it asked for the xp installation disk halfway thru), the end result after finishing and rebooting is the same.

Bob

4. dai

dai

see if there is anything in here
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows200...estore_faq.mspx#XSLTfaqSection122124121120120
    found this post
    got this fix from microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

1. In My Computer, click the Tools menu -> Folder Options.
    2. On the View tab, make sure to check the option "Hide extensions for
    known file types".
    3. Click OK.
    4. Click the Start menu -> Run. Type "%windir%\inf" (Without quotation
    marks) in the Open field. Click OK.
    5. Locate and select the file "sr.inf". Right-click it and then click
    Install.

worked great system restore is back on if anybody else has the same problem try it
    thats for the help

5. Bobbert

Bobbert Thread Starter

Thank you, thank you Dai!

That fixed it, in a roundabout way. I followed your instructions, but eventually it asked me for a sr.sys from the SP1 for xp professional. I have the sp1a download (it is one large single file, and is the version downloaded from MS that I can write to a cd and carry around from computer to computer). When I pointed it to that file, it was not happy, so I ended %windir% \inf, and thought if I clicked on the sp1a update, it would unpack/unzip/uncab/etc all its files, and I could find sr.sys. Instead, it reapplied sr1a. I rebooted the computer afterward and tested Restore. It was still broken. So I again did the %windir% \inf, chose the sr.inf, and again it said it wanted the sr.sys from sp1 for xp prof. I did a windows search, and found sr.sys in the \i386 sudirectory. I pointed the %windir% \inf to that file, it came back and told me that that file was older than the one it currently has, do I still want to? I said NO, yet afterward it clearly unzipped/unpacked/uncabbed some files. When it was done, I rebooted and lo and behold, now system restore works!

Thank you Dai for the time you spent reserching this!

Bob

6. dai

dai

glad you got it fixed

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice