1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP takes forever opening 'My Computer'

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by three_jeeps, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. three_jeeps

three_jeeps Thread Starter

Hello:
    Yes, thats the symptom..time varies anywhere from 3 mins till ???and sometimes it crashes. I've done the usual...cleaned registry, temp files, ran NAV, Adaware, Spybot, windows defrag, file check, etc. It is a new XP install on a new dell 1330. Was working fine...I wanted to change themes, ran a program from web that replaced uxthemes.dll with one that accepts any theme, and that when probem started...Replace uxtheme.dll with original MS one...probleem still persists...everything else works fine...I removed all shared and network drives
    SUggestions?
    Thanks
    J

2. Anon B

Anon B

Hi

This behavior is often caused by the Windows Image Acquisition service

Try Disabling the Service:

1. Open Start >> Run or press window+r
    2. type net stop "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)"
    You can also disable the service by following the procedure given below
    1. Open Start >> Run or press window+r

2. type services.msc and press enter
    3. Now locate the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) among the services and right click on it to select properties.
    Now Stop the service if it is already running by clicking the stop button and select the startup type for the service as disabled.

There is also a REG fix over at Kellys Korner
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    Line 157 right hand side
    Prevent Delay in Opening My Computer / Explorer

Anon

3. three_jeeps

Thank you. I came across this soln from the ms website...I tried their version of the fix and WIA seemed to restart almost as soon as I killed it. I tried your 1st way to stop the process and it seems to have had some effect, but still not great. With the svc killed, it now takes 15-30 sec for 'My Computer' contents to be displayed, as opposed to minutes as well as unstable operation. Clearly, this has had a positive effect but there still is an annoyance. Some related questions:
    What service is this program providing and what is the fallout by disabling it?
    Any idea what the underlying root cause of the problem is? Is the file directory tree hammered in some way?
    Anybody have other ideas?
    Thanks a lot for your help
    -J

4. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

Windows Image Acquisition Service Provides image acquisition services for scanners and cameras.

Do you have a camera which you had connected as a removable drive, and disconnected it without first choosing the safely remove device?

5. three_jeeps

I did not install a camera. The laptop has a built in camera and I installed the driver suite with the initial install with a install disk I slipstreamed with nlite. I did however, just recently add a blue tooth driver and application suite which created a lot of standard bt devices ( mouse, camera, fax machine, phone, etc.) ...Could adding the bt suite some how screwed up the config? The driver and associated suite came from the dell website and is the standard driver for this OS/chipset.
    -J

6. three_jeeps

I tried an experiment....I disconnected all of my mapped drives and shut off my wireless tranceiver, and kept my ethernet cable unplugged. Tried the clicking on my computer and it responded correctly! I added one of my network drives, reenabled the wireless transceiver, and now the delay is back. Is there anyway to configure the network drive connections, the wireless ethernet component, or the 'my computer' window to reduce or eliminate the time spent looking for a network device?
    thanks
    J

7. Anon B

Anon B

In Windows Explorer (My Computer) click on Tools - Folder Options - View
    Un-Select the option (1st one in the list)
    Automatically search for network folders and printers
    Click OK

Anon

8. three_jeeps

I removed all network drives, all network printers from XP. Cleaned the registry with JV tools, then went in manually and made sure any references to network drives and printers were removed. Rebooted PC. Worked fine...no delay in 'my computer'...
    I then tried an experiment. Wireless disabled, and plugged in my network cable. I added a network drive. 'My Computer' worked without delay. I shut PC down, removed network cable, rebooted. Clicked on My Computer', no delay, and it showed the network drive as disconnected. Plugged in network cable, clicked on network drive, and it took about 2 seconds and displayed contents fine. Closed all windows, shut down PC, unplugged network cable and rebooted...'My Computer' responded without delay, show network drive disconnected, as it should.

I shut system down, reattached network cable, rebooted, clicked on 'My Computer' and it responded without a delay - showed network drive as online.

I added a network printer, and went through similar gyrations. No effect on My Computer.
    My conclusion is that somehow something got corrupted in the registry and removing all the devices and then reattaching them fixed the problem.

I did not try your suggestion above because I did my experiment before I saw the post, but I'll keep it in mind...TY.
    -J

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/730728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice