1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP TCP/IP issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by teqmod, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. teqmod

teqmod Thread Starter

Hello all

When doing an IP config all I get back is:

C:\Documents and Settings>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

There is no reference to even the NIC. The NIC has been replaced by the first admin who was on the scene. The machine will not obtain an address from the DHCP server.
    I am running Windows XP prof. I thought it had something to do with a corrupt TCP/IP stack so I used the netsh int ip reset with no results. I then removed the winsock & winsock2 reg keys and reinstalled TCP/IP from disk and recieve an error "file does not exist" I then pulled the directory over from another XP machine and still recieve the same error. The error does not specify which file exactly it is looking for so I am at a stand still.
    I have installed a USB NIC to verify there are no hardware issues. Any Ideas?

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

3. teqmod

teqmod Thread Starter

Thanks, I tried that a little earlier with no results. I am at a complete loss with this one.

4. teqmod

teqmod Thread Starter

I have attempted to reinstall the tcp/ip protocal using have disk and pointing it back to the \windows\inf folder and get a file not found error. I think this may be able to be resolved if I knew what file it was looking for but good ol windows does not say. I have copied the INF folder over from another machine and recieved the same error. Does anyone know what file windows may be looking for? I am certain it is an .inf driver file for tcp/ip but have no idea what it might be called.

5. mike5532g

mike5532g

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!