1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP telnet client - what's up?

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Mikrondel, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikrondel

Mikrondel Thread Starter

I'm shocked at how little Google tells me about this problem.

I have a certain telnet server that does some pretty involved stuff. And XP's telnet client seems braindead.

The symptom I'm completely sure about is CR (aka '\r'). Windows 2000's telnet client deals with it fine (moves the cursor to the start of the same line). As far as I know, the Windows 98 client is fine. The Linux telnet client is fine. The XP client ignores it.

Another symptom I strongly suspect is XP's client ignoring the "erase to start of line" VT100 escape code, or "\x1B[1K".

I've tried several combinations of the client's TERM emulation modes (including VT100 and ANSI), and CRLF settings and the console/stream mode, but I'm getting the feeling the client is just broken.

(No idea about Vista as I won't touch the thing)

As I said, Google is being much less helpful than expected, so maybe it's just a small change (to be more standards-compliant?) that I've overlooked? Or perhaps somehow Microsoft has managed to screw yet another thing up, and with luck someone wise here knows about it. Either way, something is different in the telnet clients between 2000 and XP, and I'd like to know what so I can fix my server, and avoid further problems (with ugly workarounds if it must be so).

Mikrondel

EDIT: Just to be clear, and to justify posting this in this forum, this is a telnet server that I'm writing, and I'd like the standard XP client to be able to communicate with it properly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice