1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP thinks 160gb Hard Drive is 500mb

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ben1988, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ben1988

ben1988 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I've just completed a standard Ghost Disk-to-Disk Image transfer from one Seagate 160gb hard drive to another identical drive. Having performed this procedure countless times, I was a little surprised when the copying process only took about five minutes, and even more so when I logged in to XP on the source machine.

For some reason, Ghost (or myself) buggered up the formatting on the drive, so now Windows XP thinks that the entire drive has a capacity of 500mb.

This is despite:

*having approximately 10gb worth of files and applications on it, all of which can be accessed (i.e. the image didn't cut off the files)
    *having a virtual memory of 1.5gb sourced from the drive
    *C:\->Properties->Hardware->Properties->Volumes brings up both drives with 160gb of capacity

This is understandably frustrating: I can't write anything to the drive, nor even put the computer back on the domain. I have never, ever encountered anything like this problem, and to remedy it I'm about to ghost across a backup image to both drives in the hope that this will remedy the problem.

While I'm getting it ready, does anyone have any suggestions or advice for why this might have happened?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

2. ben1988

ben1988 Thread Starter

Okay now this is just baffling:

There are about 10 or so identical machines in my organisation, two of which originally developed this problem (160gb hard drive detected as 500mb in Windows). I assumed it was because of the Ghosting process: but when I booted up a third computer to make an image, it had the same problem.

I fixed all three of them, but it turns out this problem is more wide spread than anyone could imagine. Two other computers are now displaying the problem, and these were off the network and not touched for weeks surrounding the Ghost (which was Disk-to-Disk anyway!) So my question is now:

WTF?

The only explanation that I can think of is that we've been hit with a virus that is specifically affecting these dual-core, SATA machines (the rest of the computers are single-core IDE affairs). The trouble is, there are a few dual-cores that don't have the problem at all, with Windows citing their hard drive space at the appropriate 149 GB. Does anyone have the foggiest as to what else might cause this issue?

Cheers,
    Ben

3. ben1988

ben1988 Thread Starter

No thoughts? Kind of a pressing issue >.<

4. ben1988

ben1988 Thread Starter

The problem has spread to many other computers in the organisation. We run F-Secure with all up to date virus definitions and haven't been able to pick up anything. The intermittent nature of this error is causing us huge amounts of grief: we had students using computers today that were reporting the correct hard drive size (ranging from 80 to 160 GB), only to find that this evening the computers are reporting at 500mb.

PLEASE HELP!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice