1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Tips, Tweaks, How To's

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Edelgad0, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Edelgad0

Edelgad0 Thread Starter

Hey all you XP uses out there, I've come across a few tips from WWW.XP-MD.COM
    that will jump start your machine, at least they did for mine.

- Change Your MFT
    1. Click Start, select Run.
    2. In the new window type REGEDIT.
    3. In the new window find the Registry Key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Filesystem
    4. On the right side of the window, find the key NtfsMftZoneReservation.
    5. Change the value to 4 for the largest MFT size.(2-Medium MFT size,3-Large MFT size)
    6. Exit and restart your computer.

-Disable Indexing
    1. Open My Computer and Right Click on the drive Indexing will be turned off.
    2. In the new window find and uncheck the box next to Allow Indexing Service.
    3. Click the Apply button and wait for the process to finish

I came across these at WWW.XP-MD.COM . Its got a pretty good list of performance boosts and how to's. Although, its got a bunch of simple things like how to change volume and add users. Hopefully they'll post more How To's soon because I went through them pretty quickly

2. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

I don't see it. http://www.pixpond.com/1/cwblp.jpg

3. Edelgad0

Edelgad0 Thread Starter

If its not there you need to add it, sorry kidnote should have included that

4. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Cool daddy o..:cool:

5. Edelgad0

Edelgad0 Thread Starter

one more thing, you need to add it as a DWORD

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

So, just so that we are clear ....

This is really not a "casual" tweak. And, it does NOT result in any performance boost.

AND, by changing that value to 4 you have now allocated 50% (that's FIFTY) of your free space, for use by the MFT.

This setting controls the size of the MFTZONE, which is an area reserved to allow the MFT to overflow into, if required. The default size (setting of 1) is 12.5 percent of the volume.

Some reading

You need to be extremely careful with Tweak sites. They sometimes only read what they want to read (or understand) and then turn it into a tweak. This is one example of that.

Note: Some of the other "tweaks" are absolute rubbish also. (eg: Deleting prefetch files). deleting cookies (Cookies are used by websites to keep track of your personal information for future use. These cookies are not only a privacy risk, ...)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice