1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP to Vista networking and file/print sharing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by smoore100, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smoore100

smoore100 Thread Starter

Hi

After buying a brand new laptop for my wife with Vista Premium ready installed, I connected it last night to the wireless router and hve internet connectivity with no problems.

This morning I plugged in her printers and gadgets to the machine with the intention of sharing the printers so I can access them from my XP machine, as I did with her previous XP computer, but the two computers won't talk!

Both machines connect to the wireless router no problem, get allocated an IP address and can connect to the internet no problem, but they just can't see each other!

I've tried everything I can think of, turning on network discovery, changing to a provate network, installing the LLTD protocols on my XP machine = basically everything the Vista suggests.

I can't even ping the other machine IP address from either machine, please help, this is driving me insane!

Thanks,

Simon

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Failure to ping is almost always a firewall issue. You need to enable file/print sharing in the firewalls, or disable them until you get it working.

3. smoore100

smoore100 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion John, I thought I has disabled them but double checked to make sure but still no luck!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There's a firewall component in there somewhere. :)

5. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I am a network illiterate - just follow what the book says! But at the risk of stating the obvious.... You do not mention other than "plugging in". I presume you went through the usual procedure of setting up the workgroup etc?? I have the same setup, but to two other xp computers. After running the wireless wizard and sorting out the workgroup, which took about 30 seconds, I had immediate intercommunication between all three.

6. smoore100

smoore100 Thread Starter

Hi, I tried the LLTD drivers and they made no difference. I can now connect fine but only if I plug the XP maxhine in to the router by ethernet, if I try the wireless connection it still doesn't work!

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

smoore100,

To try and help a bit,

If it is a 3rd party firewall, sometimes it is more reliable to uninstall it rather the disabling it.
    Also what service pack level is on the XP computer?

"I can't even ping the other machine IP address from either machine" - Can you give the operating system on the computers and which can or can't ping which. For example, can the XP computers ping themselves but just not the Vista one? Or can the Vista one ping the XP computer(s) but not vice versa?

8. kirkpatrick

kirkpatrick

Smoore,

I had a similar problem but my post was given a new thread. Here's my response to myself:

My problem seems to be solved, but time will tell. Here's what I did. I went to Windows Update and found 4 updates which were labelled "optional." One pertained to my monitor, one to my sound, and one was labelled "Atheros Communications, Inc. - Networking - HP 802.11b/g Wireless Network Adapter," and the last "Update for Windows Vista (KB929735).

Although I have Update set to automatic I installed the four and immediately without a reboot the XP and Vista machines can see each other.

MK

9. compdude

compdude

u did everythin except the one thing no one expects... if u dont have a password set on the comps vista wont let them talk... set a password on atleast the vista comp and ur good to go(y)

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I don't have passwords on my Vista computers and they can network just fine. It's not a requirement for networking. Might be a good idea for security but not necessary to network.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice