1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP to Win7 upgrade on Acer Aspire One ZA3

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ned100, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ned100

ned100 Thread Starter

Hello all,

I have searched and can't find this specific topic. My Acer Aspire One ZA3 came with XP installed and I want to upgrade to Windows7. Has anybody tried it and is it possible thanks. I have my own copy of Windows7 (OEM Disk), but am not sure about the disk structure Acer use when they deliver the machines.:confused:

Any advice of help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

3. ned100

ned100 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response - I will check out the link. As for the disk, I paid for it when I purchased all the components to upgrade my desktop - that was a clean install. I guess the real question is whether the Acer Aspire with its pre-installed XP, can be changed to Windows 7.

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

5. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

From what I can determine, the Acer Aspire One ZA3 netbook is actually a AO751h model.

It appears to have all the needed device drivers for Windows 7(32-bit).

http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=1112

It comes with 1 GB of RAM, so you'll need to replace it with a 2 GB module.

Windows XP runs fine with 1 GB, but Windows 7 needs at least 2 GB.

You didn't mention if you have an external USB optical drive to connect to that netbook and insert the Windows disc.

You'll need to go into the BIOS and set the external USB optical drive first in the boot order.

Personally, I would leave Windows XP in that netbook.

-----------------------------------------------------------

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can only use that Windows 7 license if you never installed it on any other computer. And once you install it on this Acer, you can never use it on another computer even if you decide you don't like the way it runs on that system.

This is why OEM licenses are much cheaper. You can only ever use them on one computer.

7. managed

managed Allan

You will have to backup your Data (photos, documents etc) and re-install all your Programs after installing 7, you can't simply upgrade to 7 from XP.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061354