xp tower not connecting to internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

truthandliberty

Laptops work off of router, tower says winsock catalog error. Googled it, did the DOS thing reset resetlog etc, still won't connect to internet. I'm not super techie, should I take it to computer shop? Or is there something relatively easy I can do? don;t have tons of moola or time. xp, refurbished dell optiplex whatever.

Hello truthandliberty...

1. Is this tower connected to the router with an ethernet cable or is it a wireless connection?
2. Was the connection working before and now not?
3. Do you have the connection icon in the system tray with the red x?
4. Do you have any wireless adapter software installed on your PC such as Netgear, etc.? These can conflict with Windows' native software in my experience
5. Any recent problems of other types with the PC?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online