XP Uninstall Folders

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DKTaber

I know this subject MUST be somewhere on this forum, but I can't find it. My OS is XP-SP2. It's configured for automatic updating. Apparently, each time there's an update, it stores uninstall information for that update in a separate folder. I've accumulated 49 of them, and they're a nuisance when using Explore, doing virus scans, etc., in addition to taking up drive space. However, they aren't directly deletable, which I suppose is why the names display in a blue font.

I assume these folders are created for the sole purpose of uninstalling updates if they cause problems. I haven't had problems with ANY update, so have no need to uninstall any of them. I can see keeping the last couple, but how do I get rid of the rest of them? What are the consequences if I do get rid of all but the last couple? Are the most recent ones the last folders at the bottom. FYI, all but two have the name "$NtUninstallKB828741$" thru "$NtUninstallKB910437$". The bottom two are "$NtUninstallQ819696$ and "NtUninstallQ828026$".

Thanks for the help.

I believe they are blue because they are compressed to save space on your computer. I always delete mine on my work labtop since it only has 6GB of storage. I usually just right click them and delete them. :confused:

TK

DKTaber

JohnWill said:
I have 48 of them, and they only consume 249mb. I searched on the $hf_mig$ folder, which is 141mb, and I see several posts around that advice against removing it. CHeck out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=328848
John: I did check out the KB article, and couldn't find anything in it about deleting the uninstall folders; it talks only about dual-mode install files. Where did you see a thread advising that they should not be deleted?

DKTaber

Anton Wan said:
I believe they are blue because they are compressed to save space on your computer. I always delete mine on my work labtop since it only has 6GB of storage. I usually just right click them and delete them.
Anton: Deleting is disallowed on my machine. All the uninstall folders are marked "Read-Only" and the system won't let me remove the read-only property.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online