1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP update/activation problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by austin77, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. austin77

austin77 Thread Starter

i am trying to install updates for win xp sp2. everytime i try to install an update it says win xp cannot complete validation. when i try to activate through windows product activation program it says that my win xp is activated. if my activation is done why can't i download any updates? thanks for the help.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You seem to have two different issues here.

Firstly you fail to complete validation, then you try to re-activate.

Can you be exact in the matter of validation failing to complete first, is the process just failing when you try to validate or is the process saying you do not have a valid copy of Windows?

The process failing to run correctly is totally different to the process of saying you have an invalid copy of Windows.

If it is not saying Windows is invalid, why are you trying to re-activate Windows?

Looking at your specs, you are running a copy of Windows other than that which shipped on your PC. If you have used the CD Key on the PC itself with a copy of Windows other than that which was pre-installed, then Windows might indeed get confused.

When the validation fails to run correctly (rather than fails to validate), it usually gives an error code. If it does, that could hold the key to solving the problem?

3. austin77

austin77 Thread Starter

Why didn't my machine complete validation?
    You have encountered an unknown error. Please contact your local product support team for further assistance with this issue.

[0x80080299]

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

5. austin77

austin77 Thread Starter

i went to internet explorer and followed the manage add ons directions but the add on is only under add ons that have been used by internet explorer, and it is not under add ons currently loaded in internet explorer. and when i click on it under add ons that have been used by internet explorer it is enabled and there are no updates available for it. does this mean that it is not currently installed on my internet explorer. and if so where do i go to download it.
    ps: thanks alot for your help, i always seem to be having computer troubles haha

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!