1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Update Problem, HELP Please

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by exelorator, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. exelorator

exelorator Thread Starter

I have an Acer Aspire laptop with WinXP and all the usual rubbish installed, I have had this since around September of last year and got it for a little less as the packaging was opened 'basically someone decided they didn't want it?' i'm more than happy with it and have installed lots to keep me and family happy - the problem i've got is it won't update via Windows Update: i get an error message:

"Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:
    Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended) or
    Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem

I select the recommended and it registers files, i get the 'Get high-priority updates' or 'Custom' screen however when i select it goes round in a circle back to the 'files missing or unregistered' bit, I spoke to Acer whom advised to install .NET Framework v2.0, which I done didn't work, when I told them this, they advised I would need to use there system resore disks to bring it back to it's original state!! I don't want to do this as allthough i haven't had this Laptop for that long - it is set up as i want:eek:
    Surely there must be an easier way to resolve this:confused: PLEASE help

2. exelorator

Sorry also forgot to mension I aslo got hold of SP2 to manually install, this didn't work, tried to restore back to October, this also did not work, would not restore that far back.

I don't know if the prior owner deleted a file they shouldn't have?

Thanx in advace!

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

There are a bunch of tips here -

http://help.lockergnome.com/lofiversion/index.php/t37477.html

I like the on here - it sounds promissing and like it works on both W2K and WXP.

4. exelorator

WOW Thanx - Haven't a clue what has just happened?? however Update just worked THANK YOU!!:D

5. exelorator

@StumpedTechy - Why bother having support from a manufacturer such as Acer if they can't give advice equivellant to that of the expert advice on here - what do we pay for exactly!!?? They were going to have me reinstall windows! it was my determination what got this advice - i'm guessing most would have took the advice of there support people!

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

The thing is any company has to make people go through their support database and you are usually talking to first level tech support when you call. The one thing I always do when talking to people on technical support the minute they say use the repair CD/reinstall windows I tell them I already did that and I am having the same error. Usually this will get me up to 2nd level and get someone who is not just reading from a script.

I know its not very "honest" but telling people to reinstall an OS when 3/4ths the time is a simple settings change is just as unethical IMHO.

Anyways I am glad this worked for you happy computing!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice