1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LQQKING4U, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LQQKING4U

LQQKING4U Thread Starter

I had a computer to fry, pulled an old one out of closet. Started to install the printer but the instruction say only for xp with sp3 installed, problem is this old computer does show sp3 installed. Updates is turned on but hasn't updated yet. Is there any way to force the update?

Bear in mind that i'm not to computer savy

2. TekTime

TekTime

Have you tried to update by clicking on the Start Menu, then clicking programs,
    then clicking Windows Update?

3. newJason

newJason

you can visit
    http://update.microsoft.com
    To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later and visit the above link using that browser.

Once there you can install the needed updates.

on the left menu you can also click on "review your update history" to see what you have downloaded, what was installed and what updates failed, if any.

If the computer shows that XP SP3 is already installed and you are having problems with printer installation you may need a specific driver for that printer.

If you are not sure about what you have installed, you can check it this way:

To check what service pack you have installed:
    right click on the "my computer" icon on the desktop.

select "properties"

on the "General" tab you will see something like this:

System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack ???

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

All service packs are available for download. You can then install them from your desktop.

But once you have XP SP3, you have new operating system. You won't be able to use your CD for repairs or to replace damaged files. You really would be better off creating an XP SP3 CD and then running a repair installation than just installing the updates. You would then have a CD for your OS and you would save a lot of disk space that would go to backups if the service packs are installed in Windows.

Automatically Slipstream Windows XP with SP3 and All Post-SP3 Security Hotfixes with a Single Command

5. LQQKING4U

LQQKING4U Thread Starter

My computer shows to be windows xp, home edition, version 2002. shows no updates (sp) at all, automatic updates on for about 24 hours. tryed going to microsoft updates, read that sp 2 has to be installed before installing sp 3.
    also says if i'm not seeing updates on their site i might be running an older version, have no idea what that means.
    The only reason i'd update is the new printer says for, xp with sp 3. Haven't tryed to installed it yet trying to get this update thing resolved first.

6. LQQKING4U

LQQKING4U Thread Starter

Found site windows.microsoft.com/service-packs. It has all three updates sp1a, sp2,and sp3, from reading sounds like they have to be installed in that order. am i correct?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, you can start with SP2 which has SP1 in it. Then go to SP3. Or make an XP CD with it inside already so you will have a CD for your OS.

Upgrades often result in problems.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice