XP updates after April 2014

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cci704

Today, 10-15-2014 I got a message that updates were available for my XP level 3. Same notification format as hundreds
of previous updates. Did the updates then looked in the 'Remove Windows Updates' folder and found nothing. Did I
get spammed??

TerryNet

Terry
They're still providing the Malicious Software Removal Tool (or some such name). Also Microsoft Security Essentials updates if you have it installed.

cci704

Thanks for your input. Security Essentials was replaced by Windows Defender so I can assume the 2 updates were
for the Defender package. BTW Defender has yet to find a problem. I try to run it every day at least as a 'quick' scan.
CCleaner and Malwarebytes have identified a few problems over the years.
Thanks again.

TerryNet

Terry
First I've ever heard of Windows Defender in XP. It comes with Vista and Windows 7 and is only a lame anti-spyware there. In Windows 8 it is a renamed MSE, which is an anti-virus as well as anti-spyware.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Security Essentials was replaced by Windows Defender
TerryNet is correct.

Windows Defender is a lame anti-spyware program that comes as part of Windows Vista and Windows 7 and which I always disable.

It's an optional install for Windows XP that I recommend never be installed.

------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online