XP updates after April ???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cci704

There were 4 XP updates installed on my machine on 6-20-2014. Are these valid?? Numbers are
KB2930275
KB2929961
KB2934207
KB2922229

Yes, they are valid, they are all dated from Mar or Apr. Windows updates continues to work after Aptril, just that no new ones are made any more. Exception is mrt, the microsoft malicious software removal tool, which will continue until July 14, 2015.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
XP didn't suddenly become super risky when support stopped.
All it means is that any newly discovered vulnerabilities in it will not be fixed by MS. That does NOT mean that the antivirus and firewall companies won't do their best to protect against those threats.
XP with full third party AV and firewall updates will still be safer than machines with no protection at all - and Linux distributions are not immune from attack or being used as virus carriers.

kanaitpro

Account Closed
uh, yes, it did. when there is an os out there without any kind of updates for security vulnerabilities, that means that it did become super risky on 9 april. when a company does it's best to protect something, that doesn't mean that it will be protected. without patching vulnerabilities, any 3d party anything can only go so far. i do know for a fact that some antivirus products stopped working on xp, and i had a friend tell me that itunes quit working on his xp system, but i have not verified that personally. and i only mentioned the fact that people should not use xp on any internet facing machine, i did not try to convince anyone to switch to linux. i would advise that, but not without at the very least having a friend or some other support system in place. there are very few attack vectors on a linux system, and most malware or viruses will not work on it. linux has seen an upswing in attacks, but mostly for internet based malware. it is true that linux systems can become carriers for windows users, but that is not an issue for the linux user, just the windows user.

having clarified all of this, i have to say that the information i have provided has the possibility to be dated, or some of it can be wrong regarding the linux malware and viruses. i am a linux user, but not an expert on attacks or malware, since up until a short while ago it was not an issue. i dual boot windows and slackware, and don't use antivirus at all, just manually clean periodically.

i can design and protect just about any system, but the tradeoff is convenience. i tell customers that all the time, that i can make you secure, but you won't like it. the things you need to do are just too inconvenient.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
. it is true that linux systems can become carriers for windows users, but that is not an issue for the linux user, just the windows user.
And you run a company?? I hope you are a bit more honest with your customers. I am aware that from a business point of view you WANT people to have to stop using XP as it gets you more sales, but this is NOT a business oriented forum, and we will continue to support people who retain XP.

Oh no it did NOT become any more vulnerable than it had been. There is no switch that suddenly turns on virus vulnerability.
As for your AV that stopped working, either it was backed and driven by MS or you are not looking in the right places.

There are a vast number of XP based systems out in the industrial world that cannot be upgraded and still need to be run.
Any AntiVirus company worth its salt knows this and will make a fortune out of supporting them for several years.

kanaitpro

Account Closed
yes, i run a business and no, i am not advising this person or any other person on this site to switch from xp to anything. i just provide facts, as clearly as i can. i volunteer my time on here to help people who need help. and i do not sell anything, i service everything. i have no interest in any operating system as far as making money from pushing one over the other. i had briefly palyed with the idea to develop a linux distro geared toward xp users, but it quickly became a logistical nightmare.

it became a heck of a lot more vulnerable on 9 april. this is what happens when ms quit supporting it. apparently you and i see security in a different light. there are several av's that quit working on xp, i don't have the links handy right now, but it is just a quick search away for you to research.

heck, for that matter, ms will still develop and send updates to companies willing to pay for them. they are charging millions for this support.

you can continue to support whoever you wish, but if you are not trying to at least mention the danger of using xp, or are glossing over the FACT that it is dangerous, then you are not behvaing in an ethical manner. the simple fact is that it is dangerous, and that it should not be used. in most cases, linux is the perfect alternative to run on older machines for those who are cash strapped. but that opens a whole new can of worms with users who do not know about computers. which is why i do not recommend anyone switch unless i know their comfort level with the technology.

i am not trying to argue with you, nor am i trying to insult your intelligence and/or experience level. since the op had the question answered with my first reply, and more thoroughly with your first reply, this is merely a difference of opinions regarding what is or is not safe. you are allowed to have yours and i mine, but our more inexperienced readers should be very aware that they are liable to become infected, pwned, or worse if they continue to use an unsupported os. i have a windows 98 machine, a windows 95, and a tandy 1000. they all still work, but none of them should be hooked to the internet. on second thought, they are probably safer than xp right now, just because there are almost no exploits in the wild for those systems which have not been known for a while now.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
I would actually argue about the fact that Linux is safe (without AV protection). There are already several Linux exploits out in the wild.
For the moment, however, it is likely to be safer than XP that doesn't have full AV protection.
I run two copies of XP in virtual machines purely for testing two pieces AV real time software. Both have been left running overnight for a couple of years. Ever so often I run a different stand alone AV against them to see if they have caught any virusses.
One uses MSE and has been infected on two occasions, neither were serious, but one did take several hours to clear. Yes I did replace the VM.
The other uses Avast and that one also got one infection, which was also not serious.

I will pitch in my 2 cents on this. Using XP connected to the net, without ongoing patches, is dangerous and courting trouble. Hackers ( the writers of malware, viruses, trojans, and manual attack tools) target the low hanging fruit. When new vulnerabilities are found and not patched, forever, they will build things to target them. And an internet connected XP machine doing online purchase (credit cards) and online banking and other financial stuff is alluring to attackers.

An XP machine protected with just a firewall and antivirus is no match against the dangers it faces. It is the vulnerabilities that enable an attacker to use exploits. The payload, which can be a virus, trojan, rootkit, keylogger and other malware, is what the AV can sometimes detect. Payloads change and get updated; rootkits get upgraded and AV's will miss some. The vulnerabilities, the source of the problem, if not patched, will enable attacks to continue forever. Relying on a passive mean of protection like an AV, after the attack suceeded, is not enough. The AV only hunts for the damage after the attack is done.

Yes, I sell something. But I don't have a solution for XP. In my links on the signature below, I have solutions for hardening Win 7 and Win 8.1. The solutions are free and well documented on the sites. I only sell the optional scripts that automate some tasks to save people time. And heck, it wasn't even paying enough to upkeep the web site it sits on.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online