1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp updates fail

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by larrycleve, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larrycleve

larrycleve Thread Starter

I'm trying to install updates kb 2539631,2478663, 2518870, and 2518864. They keep failing with error code ox64c. I uninstalled .net framework 4 with revo uninstaller and the framework removal tool. Then I reinstalled framework 4. The updates still fail. What should I be looking for?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have the ATI Catalyst Control Center installed?

3. larrycleve

No. Using an Nvidia card.

4. jandttech

jandttech Banned

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. larrycleve

Thanks for those suggestions. They look promising. I'll give them a try and see what happens. Someone on another forum said that .net 4 isn't needed and just uninstall it. If this doesn't work I might do that.

7. larrycleve

I tried them all and the updates still fail. I sent an error report to microsoft to see what they say. I'll probably just uninstall framework 4.

8. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

larrycleve
    You have also asked for help on here
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309515&view=getnewpost

and here
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=i%27m%20trying%20to%20install%20updates%20kb%202539631%2C2478663%2C%202518870%2C%20and%202518864&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.cnet.com%2F7723-6142_102-545928.html&ei=-MSuTs2iINPA8QOhzOmcCw&usg=AFQjCNFGXCwhJ6q-ev-1RocbeBnuEgdmOA&cad=rja

as well as at Microsoft.
    I am not suggesting for one moment that you cannot of course ask for help on as many sites as you wish. However it is always best to pursue ONLY ONE set of assistance from ONE site at a time.
    Doing it the way you have done, tends to lead to confusion - for you, whilst attempting to do as suggested on three different sites. Albeit the advice has to date been somewhat similar.

Additionally it also serves to waste the time of people assisting, suggesting action that unknown to them has already been covered on one of the other sites.
    I recommend that you kindly indicate on EACH of the sites you have asked for help on this matter, if you wish to pursue the issue on THAT site.
    Certainly in respect of TSG - this site, we would be obliged if you could post indicating as such.

This would be the most suitable course of action.
    Thank you for your understanding.

9. larrycleve

Sorry for any confusion. I'll let you know what Microsoft says. I'm open to all suggestions.

10. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The same reply has been posted on other sites.
    I am sorry to labour the point, but you really are advised to work on ONLY one site at a time.
    It is really rather pointless for someone to make a suggestion here on TSG for you to reply that you have already tried that, as the same advice has been posted elsewhere.

NB. Now that you have received the advice from Microsoft, as posted elsewhere, I suggest you follow that advice.
    Would you kindly mark this thread solved. That facility is on your first post on here.
    If for some reason the advice from Microsoft fails, you can of course always come back here to TSG, if you choose to pursue the problem on this site.

Good Luck and thank you.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!