1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by raybro, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Hi... I've just finished installing a new HDD in my friends Gateway P4 'puter and installed XP home. Updated to SP2 from CD, then went to the Win update site and installed all the update software. Now when I go to custom updates, it says there are 48 critical updates needed totalling 28.5 MB.

My question... Are there any updates I DO NOT want to install. I'm a Win98SE guy and I can muddle my way through XP, but would appreciate some input from those who run XP regularly.

Would also appreciate comments regarding the reason why one does not want any specific update. Additionally, any suggestions regarding the process I'm now going through would be appreciated. I'm on dial-up :mad: , so I'm sensitive to file size when downloading.

TIA Raybro

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

That is a question that has to be decided by the person at the machine since it needs a knowledge of the machine that is very difficult to do thru the forums. Each computer is different and might take different updates. If the person does not have broadband I would suggest taking the computer to where there is a Broadband connection and install like crazy.

This has to be an on-site call for the updates otherwise it is just an unqualified opinion.

3. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

I would say all critical updates should be installed, as most of them relate to security or bug fixes.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    The only Critical updates I haven't bothered installing are :
    Windows Malicious Software Removal ... I Have other Tools.
    Windows Genuine Advantage Notification ... I know I'm Legal.

This'll only save you 3.5MB .. Sorry

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

If we cannot trust Windows, then who can we trust. I install everything all the time and have never had a problem.

6. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

OK... Thanks to all for their input. I'll start the download/install tonight and let it run.

Raybro

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice