1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP upgrade and existing drives/data questions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ashnan, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ashnan

ashnan Thread Starter

I have Win ME that I'd like to upgrade to Win XP Pro. My system qualifies (see bottom for specs) and I have done the prep work regarding hardware/software compatibility, driver updates etc.

I have a 40 GB Western Digital hard drive (drive letter 'C', master) that came with my PC.

I later added a second 80 GB WD hard drive (drive letter 'D', slave) that I use only for storing the captured video of my infant son.

Both drives are obviously FAT32 file system since I currently have Win ME.

I'd like to do a clean install of XP Pro upgrade on my 'C' drive. Since that will wipe out the 'C' drive, I guess I have to save my important files in the 'C' drive to some offline media like CD-R's etc.

However, I'd like to know if I can keep and continue using my second 'D' drive with the new XP Pro OS, since the files on this drive are too large to be copied off:

1. Will the 'clean install' upgrade process make any changes to my BIOS information that will result in my D drive not being recognized?
    2. Will the new XP Pro OS be able to read data off and write to the Fat32 D drive?
    3. Since the second drive D is Fat32, is it required to have the C drive formatted as FAT32 also while installing XP or can it be formatted as NTFS? In other words, can a NTFS hard drive and a Fat32 hard drive co-exist on a Win XP Pro system?

I guess if it's possible use drive 'D' normally after the OS change, maybe I can copy the entire contents of drive 'C' to drive 'D' before the clean upgrade, instead of backing up drive C contents on several CD's?

Alternatively, it would be better to could use the Files and Settings Transfer wizard during the XP upgrade to backup existing C drive files on drive D and restore them back to drive C after the OS 'clean install'. Any comments on that?

Any other suggestions, ideas or relevant info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ash

Dell Dimension 8100, Win ME
    Intel P4 1.4 GHz
    256 MB RDRAM
    nVidia GEForce2 Ultra 64 MB
    Creative SB Live value
    40 GB WD HDD for OS/System (master)
    80 GB WD 8mb cache HDD for Video only (slave)
    12X CD-RW, 8X DVD-ROM

2. DFC

DFC

1. No
    2. Yes
    3. Yes (co-exist)

3. ashnan

ashnan Thread Starter

Thanks DFC

Regards

Ash

4. ashnan

ashnan Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!