XP Upgrade from ME - boot up loop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

darwin1971

After installing Windows XP, when I try to boot up my computer, it goes into disk check, and then restarts again - it never reaches the logon screen. No error messages, just a continual loop.

I've found a few Microsoft articles, but those usually point to specific programs which I don't think I have installed. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

bonk

Banned
Howdy,

Does it finish the Disk Check.........and does it go through 5 sections?

darwin1971

I don't know about 5 sections. It performs the disk check and gives me a report similiar to the following:

pppp KB TOTAL DISK SPACE
qqqq KB IN rrrr HIDDEN FILES
ssss KB IN tttt FOLDERS
uuuu KB IN vvvv FILES
wwww KB ARE AVAILABLE

xxxx BYTES IN EACH ALLOCATION UNIT
yyyy TOTAL ALLOCATION UNITS ON DISK
zzzz ALLOCATION UNITS AVAILABLE

Then, after pausing for about 5-8 seconds, it begins rebooting again.

darwin1971

I have tried it both ways...with and with out the disk. I was able to boot up in safe mode from the disk and look for 'PCanywhere' which Microsoft said might be the problem. But it wasn't on my computer. I removed two programs I thought might be involved, but that made no difference.

bonk

Banned
You can try turning off disk check on startup

Go into Safemode

Click Start>>Run type regedit click OK

Registry Edit

1.Edit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

2.Change the BootExecute entry from:

autocheck autochk * /.........<-------Drive name???

To:

autocheck autochk *

oooh upgrade to XP from Me, good luck! Did you check your hardware and software for compatibility?
Clean install from Me to XP is really the only way to go...and you can do it with upgrade cd as long as you have Me cd to show (or any other Windows copy) when requested. You need to change boot order of drives so cd drive boots before hard drive:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

darwin1971

Thanks Bonk....

I did as you suggested but found the BootExecute file was already set to
autocheck autochk *. Then I went to the Scheduled Tasks folder to see if Chkdsk or Autochk were scheduled at startup. But they weren't in the folder.

Next I started the computer from the XP disk, loaded the Microsoft Recovery Console and ran chkdsk from there on the chance it might discover a funky hard drive. But everything checked out.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

If you installed XP over the top of ME ( pardon the language ) this is likely the first of many issues you are going to have to deal with. As Rich the younger said, you will have a much more stable and dependable system if you do a clean install.

Compare the grey hair on my avatar to yours . . . clearly yours is younger ( and perhaps more hansom?)

I had the same issue and it is to do with a neat little feature on SP2 with causes a reboot on all errors which would usually blue screen you:

If your computer is set to reboot automatically after a blue screen crash, you may never get to see the blue screen. In that case press F8 after the BIOS boot phase, when Windows begins to boot from the hard disk. You may have to press F8 a few times to hit the right time.

Then select the choice (new with Service Pack 2): Disable automatic restart on system failure.

Then, if you are using an AMD, you will need to disable DEP:

Reboot in safe mode:

To disable DEP, you have to make a change to the BOOT.INI file in the root of the partition from which the computer boots. To get Windows to run, your only choice is now safe mode. To boot into safe mode, press F8 a few times after the BIOS has finished its booting and Windows begins to load. Once you have booted into safe mode, use these steps:

Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
Click on the Advanced tab.
Click on the third button&#8212;settings for system start options.
Click on the Edit button to edit the boot.ini file.
Carefully edit the /NoExecute=OptIn string and change it to AlwaysOff. This part at the end of the line should now read: /NoExecute=AlwaysOff
Save and close the dialog boxes by clicking on OK.
Now reboot and try to get it booted in normal mode again.

This should solve your problemn and you should be able to boot normally, if not, come back and we'll try something else :)

darwin1971

Thanks JJ84, Rich-M, and simpswr. I'll try the BOOT.INI file fix first....it's the easiest.

If I'm reduced to using the 'Clean Install' fix, will I have any problems uninstalling Windows XP & reverting to ME? Or can I back up all my data files without doing this? Also, I have a second hard drive in this box on which I store pictures, etc. Will this drive be affected by the 'Clean Install'?

Thanks again!

If I'm reduced to using the 'Clean Install' fix, will I have any problems uninstalling Windows XP & reverting to ME
?

You would have to perform a clean install of ME (pardon the language )

Or can I back up all my data files without doing this?
You can back up your data at any time.

Also, I have a second hard drive in this box on which I store pictures, etc. Will this drive be affected by the 'Clean Install'?
It's best to disconnect any other drives prior to performing the clean install . . you can connect them again after the installation . . it's easy to mess up a second drive while you are formating and installing.

If you need a guide to a clean install just ask . .

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online