1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP User Policies

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bmiller07, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bmiller07

bmiller07 Thread Starter

I've got a problem with policies I've never set. I can not change my Internet settings (homepage, etc.) and I can not invoke the MMC under my user name. It tells me to ask my network admin. I am on a Toshiba 6100 laptop with XP with all the Windows updates done as of 4/16/2004. I do dock and get on our corporate network, too. My user id has administrative privileges, btw. Well, I did ask our sysadmin if he had any policies and said all he did was redirect all homepages to the corporate website and made changing it OK.....after I called him yesterday, he assured me he had removed ALL policies on my UID. SOOOO, I think it's on my box....(I do believe him). So, I signed on as the admin on my box and can not find any user policies set up! The user name I always sign in on is admin privileged, so I can't figure out what the deal is.....any ideas? :confused:

2. rasputinj

rasputinj

It looks to me there is a group policy under the the container/object your account is located.

Now it could be set as the domain group policy, or just under your container/object.

So they have exluded MMC from the c prompt and have disabled in IE the changing of IE settings.

They either need to move you to a container that does not inherit settings or to a container without the GPO.

You can check you local policies, if you can access the admin tools in control panel, but I do not remember being able to setup stuff like that as a local policy.

3. rude

rude

4. bmiller07

bmiller07 Thread Starter

Thanks to you both for your help and guidance. I'll check it out and let you know....

--Bart

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice