XP very slow shutdown - event logs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ryoden

I have been encountering slow shutdown times on my desktop recently. I looked in the event logs to try and find some clue but they were not that helpful to the less than technically minded ;)

1: EVENT_TCPIP_TCP_CONNECT_LIMIT_REACHED
I had a lot of the above that were listed both as information and warning

2: also W32time came up several time as both info and warning

3: NetBT came up several times - with
"the name MSHOME could not be registered on the interface with IP address xxx, the machine with the ip address yyy did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.

The only hardware I have installed recently is a Belkin wireless card (whose problems I have posted elsewhere ;)) This may have something to do with it but I am not sure. Briefly my setup is a wireless laptop (no problems) and a wired desktop (which has been re-configured to run on wireless)

I am running Windows XP pro with SP2 on an AMD system with 2 gigs ram

I have run several virus checks and I run spybot regularly, I have a belkin router to connect through to my blueyonder broadband.

Any advice?

The tcp/ip limit error could be from running p2p programs. Its not serious, it is a security feature of XP SP2 to try to prevent or slow the spread of worms and other malicious software.

ryoden

Ah I see, yes I do run Utorrent so that may be what is causing those errors, although I had that a long time before the shutdown issue so I guess I can eliminate that. Thanks.

Are you using internet connection sharing, or file and printer sharing between the two computers?

I found this here: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

some of it is old info, but it should get you started.

SHUTDOWN WORKS, BUT IT’S REAL SLOW

1. If it appears that Win XP is not shutting down, give it some time. Some users report a minute or longer for shutdown to visibly start. Generally, this is a consequence of software that is running when shutdown is attempted. It also may have something to do with particular hardware. If you experience this problem, be sure to close all running programs before attempting shutdown and see if this solves your problem. If so, then you can determine, by trial and error, which program(s) are involved.

2. Newsgroup correspondent “Sarah” provided one specific solution for this. In Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services, stop the Nvidia Driver Helper service. (You can also get this by launching SERVICES.MSC from a Run box.) Many other newsgroup participants quickly confirmed that this solved this “extremely slow shutdown” problem for them (it’s the most successful solution for this problem to date). According to correspondent Gan Ming Teik, downloading and installing the new version 23.11 Nvidia driver also solves this problem.

3. Correspondent Ron Spruell found that disabling the Terminal Services service reduced his shutdown time from over 2 minutes (hanging at the “Windows is shutting down” screen) to about 10 seconds. To disable Terminal Services, follow the steps in the prior paragraph for launching SERVICES.MSC. Please note that Terminal Services is required in Windows XP for running Remote Assistance, Fast User Switching, and (in XP Pro) Remote Desktop.

4. Correspondent Graeme J.W. Smith reported a more obscure cause of slow shutdown: In Win XP Professional, the Group Policy Editor has a security option to clear the pagefile at system shutdown. The same setting also forces the hibernation file to be wiped at shutdown. These processes take long enough that users may think that shutdown has hung. To change the setting, click Start | Run, type GPEDIT.MSC, click OK. Drill down to Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options. In the right pane, find “Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile.” NOTE: Since someone actually has to have set this policy, the problem will be pretty rare, but is worth mentioning. However, Forum participant “roadrunner” reported that the personal security app Privacy Eraser automatically enables “Clear virtual memory pagefile,” and, therefore, may be the cause of a slow shutdown.

5. The Gear Software Security Service (GEARSEC.EXE), which enables iTunes for Windows to read and burn CDs, has been reported by many users to cause Windows XP to hang at the “Windows is shutting down” screen for as long as 20-30 seconds. WORK-AROUND: Stop the service prior to shutdown. One way to to this (suggested by “Thornburgh”) is to create a batch file with the one line net stop gearsecurity. You can either launch this batch file manually, or (in Win XP Professional) use GPEDIT.MSC) to specify this batch file as the shutdown script (under Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Scripts | Shutdown). Gear Software’s forum has a thread on this issue here. (Tip from correspondent “Andy”)

6. MS-MVP Gary Thorn discovered that the Event Log can slow down Win XP shutdown. Disabling event logging removed the slowdown. If this works for you, then the real troubleshooting begins: finding out, by trial and error, what item that is being logged is causing the actual slowdown. (In Gary’s case, the Telephony service was causing the problem.) To disable the Event Log, launch the Services console as detailed in No. 2 above, and disable Event Log (right-click on Event Log, click Properties, under Startup Type select “Disabled”).

ryoden

Yes I am using internet connection sharing - I have two pcs but I have little knowledge of networking, but I have setup a network and can share data between them.

Some of the things on that list I have tried but a couple of them I havent - I will try them and post the results

ryoden

Option 1: I had already trried previously but without noticeable results.
Option 2: I had already tried but that program is not on my PC
Option 3: This seems to have been successful - shutdown and restart are now taking about 30 seconds which is much better than before.

I am wondering what effect disabling this will have on my network though?

ryoden

Ahh its not as good as I thought - it has started going slow again. I will try some of the other options listed

ryoden

Ahh its not as good as I thought - it has started going slow again. I will try some of the other options listed.

Hmm the last option of shutting down the event log has had some success, which carried over to three restarts so I am fairly sure that has had a permanent reaction. A shutdown now takes approx 30 seconds and does not hang, however interestingly the restart procedure now takes about 67 seconds rather than 40 seconds?

However I can live with that.

Usually what is causing this is something running in startup unnecessarily. It also often has to do with burning programs running in the background for some reason.
I just had an issue with Sonic Recordnow Max where I was getting a system crash at bootup when really cold and the Ms error return pointed to Sonic so I uninstalled it and used a lite version that came with my Plextor drives for Roxio Easy cd and not only did the crash go away, I noticed it shuts down quicker too!

ryoden

Thanks for the help people, I think I have found the problem. I recently installed a wireless card and it came with software to monitor the wireless network but now I have removed it from the auto startup list the problem seems to have ceased.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online