1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP - View Processes During Startup As The Load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shibumi2k, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shibumi2k

shibumi2k Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for an app that will allow me to monitor EVERYTHING that is loading - as it's loading - during startup..

Reason is, something is causing a real slowdown - taking sometimes 30 seconds to load (this one particular app or process)..

I get to the desktop, the system tray starts filling up - and then - paaaaaauuuussseee....

I've tried doing a ctl + alt + del to load the Windows Task Manager, and watch the Process tab - problem is - it gets to 33 processes - hits that pause - and then after the 15 - 30 seconds whatever it is that's slowing it down finally loads and then 10 other processes load instantly... SO - I can't single out which 'thing' it is that's giving that looooooong pause..

I'm hoping there is some utility / app out there that will load at startup, and either log each process and it's load time (or timestamp) - OR - let me view on the screen things as they're loading - and the ORDER that they are loading in.. to help narrow it down.. (the standard task manager doesn't seem to always list them in order of load..)

Any suggestions??

THANKS!

P.S. with some 42 process loading at startup, I'm hoping to avoid having to disable all and then reenable 1 by 1... I've already tried eliminating via msconfig and startup.. so - trying this next level.. thanks..

2. theinterneth

theinterneth Banned

3. shibumi2k

shibumi2k Thread Starter

Hey there - I appreciate the response, but at this point I'm looking for something more than msconfig, selective startup, and spyware stuff...

As I say, I've got some 42 processes that load at boot / startup (and 1 GIG of ram to accomodate). I've gone through msconfig and selective startup to ensure that ONLY the things I want to load are indeed loading (and as there are quite a few, I'd prefer not to have to trial and error disabling them one by one). I've also checked my startup folder and am fine w/ what's in there..

I've run spybot S&D, adaware, and hijackthis to weed out any troublemakers... no problems there.

Bottom line - everything that is loading (that I can see) is something that I want to load - it's just that ONE of them is causing a delay / hiccup and I'd like to be able to isolate that one by WATCHING the the processes load - in order - during the startup...

I'm really looking for an app that will either let me view this realtime, and list out what loaded and in what order - OR - an app that will log the startup w/ a timestamp, so that again I can see what loaded when - and pick out the problem..

So again - I do appreciate your suggestions of spyware and msconfig, but I'm past those at this point and really need an app that can actually track the boot / startup so I can find the problem..

Anyone know of such an app??

Thanks again.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Let me see, you are a new member from yesterday, and you've posted the same link in every thread.

Your stay will be very short should you post this link one more time.

If you are here to help, fine, if you are only here to post links to the same sorry website, then get lost.

I hit the CONTACT US on your weblink, it says "UNDER CONSTRUCTIONS" :rolleyes: Good......
    http://thekonnection.net/ts/contactus.php

I think I'll just disable your account and be done with it.

5. shibumi2k

shibumi2k Thread Starter

LOL

OK - i thought that looked like a 'canned' response... but I tried to be polite - seeing as he suggested EXACTLY what I said I had already tried..

Annnnnnywho... sorry for the 'quasi-bump' here, but I figured I'd give it ONE last shot...

ANYONE know of such an app - to view processes as they load as described above?

Thanks...

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There is nothing like that that I know of that can run from within windows. You might try "bootvis" but it may not give you what you want in terms of what is happening after the desktop appears. It does however, show driver delays and other segments of the boot process.

http://www.soft32.com/download-BootVis-19687-5.html

Cleanboot troubleshooting is not so onerous as you imagine. Disable/enable startups by "halves" and you will quickly narrow it down in about 3 or 4 boots.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

And quite ironically, most posters like that describe themselves as "Einsteins" --- :rolleyes: Never can figure that one out.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/439169

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice