1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP..Virtual Box and RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonyacardo, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyacardo

tonyacardo Thread Starter

My XP recognizes only 3 GB of RAM. I only have 3 sticks in there. I have a slot for 1 more. If I create a Virtual Box machine and I add RAM I believe I need to decide how much RAM that VM is allowed. Would XP be smart enough to allocate the 4th GB RAM to the VM?

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe Ubuntu should be my primary OS and XP should be the VM. (I need XP to run certain programs.) Would Ubuntu allocate as much RAM as I could physically fit in there. (Maybe I could buy 2 sticks of 4 GB RAM.) Also I have XP Pro but it is 32 bit. If I went with a Linux system would it be 64 bit.

Am I on the right track?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No, the virtual system would not see the 4th GB of RAM. It only sees what the host sees. You've reach the 32-bit OS limitation. If you want to use more RAM, you need to install a 64-bit OS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice