XP..Virtual Box and RAM

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tonyacardo

My XP recognizes only 3 GB of RAM. I only have 3 sticks in there. I have a slot for 1 more. If I create a Virtual Box machine and I add RAM I believe I need to decide how much RAM that VM is allowed. Would XP be smart enough to allocate the 4th GB RAM to the VM?

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe Ubuntu should be my primary OS and XP should be the VM. (I need XP to run certain programs.) Would Ubuntu allocate as much RAM as I could physically fit in there. (Maybe I could buy 2 sticks of 4 GB RAM.) Also I have XP Pro but it is 32 bit. If I went with a Linux system would it be 64 bit.

Am I on the right track?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

DoubleHelix

Banned
No, the virtual system would not see the 4th GB of RAM. It only sees what the host sees. You've reach the 32-bit OS limitation. If you want to use more RAM, you need to install a 64-bit OS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts