1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP/Vista booting issues

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ScrabbleVoice, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ScrabbleVoice

ScrabbleVoice Thread Starter

Hello, I purchased a pre-installed Vista machine and added a second hard drive on its own SATA controller and installed XP on it. I control what I boot into using BIOS. This worked fine for a couple weeks. Now, I can no longer boot into Vista (missing NTLDR). However, the boot priority is set to the device that Vista is installed on, but it still boots into XP. When I switch to boot from the XP device, there is no NTLDR. What I think happened was when I installed XP on the second controller hard disk, it overwrote the boot sector on the first (Vista) hard disk. So, I can no longer boot into Vista. I just double checked through Disk Management and verified that XP is indeed installed on the smaller added hard drive, but it shows that this XP drive is the Boot drive and the main, Vista-loaded larger hard drive is System. Ideas?

2. TopgunZX

TopgunZX

I really don't know to much about Dual booting. If i were you i would contact your computers manufacturer, or Microsoft. You could try reinstalling vista again. Best of luck- TopgunZX

3. ScrabbleVoice

Really don't want to do a Vista re-install; like i said... it's a pre-installed box... no discs to install.

4. Masterman10

Masterman10

Go to Tools/ Folder Options/ View and click Show Hidden Folders and unclick Hide Protected Operating System Files.
    Copy NTLDR (Found on the XP CD in the I386 folder) and NTDETECT (Found on the XP CD in the I386 folder) to the XP Partition (Just on the D: drive and not in any folders).
    Then go to the XP drive and right click on boot.ini and select edit. Make sure that it reads:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    If it doesnÂ’t then edit it so that it does. (Last two lines are just one line)
    Then copy boot.ini to the XP Partition in the same place as NTLDR and NTDETECT.
    Now copy NTLDR, NTDETECT, and boot.ini to the Vista Partition (Just on the drive and not in any folders).

5. gRat105

gRat105

i just saw your post right after i put mine up....seems we're having a similar problem. if you figure out how to fix this, would you mind letting me know?

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hang on a minute.

If it worked for 2 weeks what's changed ?

Also if the OS's are on different drives (rather than different partitions) that Boot.ini file isn't going to work.

7. Masterman10

Masterman10

If that does not work you can try vista's system restore and run a boot fix.

8. ScrabbleVoice

Yes, the OS's are on different SATA controllers. I don't know if that boot.ini will do the trick since Vista has a different ntldr. What MasterMan suggested sounds like copying winxp's boot info to vista... would that work if vista's boot manager works differently?

9. ScrabbleVoice

Okay, the Vista OS is on the 320GB SATA HD. The XP OS is on the 80GB SATA HD, different controller. I actually had a setup that worked, when I had put an XP OS on a 40GB PATA HD. This problem only started when I put XP onto another SATA controller. When I go into BIOS and try to boot from the 80GB HD (that has XP on it), i get no NTLDR found. When I go into BIOS and try to boot from the 320GB HD (that has Vista on it), I boot up into XP. When I am in XP, I can see the other HD, verifying that yes indeed, the Vista OS is there on the 320GB drive and I am indeed working on XP on the 80GB drive. CONFUSION!

10. ScrabbleVoice

I don't have a Vista disk/recovery disk, nor can I boot into a Vista recovery console. I do have a WinXP disk.

11. modublin

modublin

maybe i m wrong but when you bought your new pc you also bought the operating system on it.
    you are entitled to one or have one posted out to you paying only postage costs.
    if the company refuses to send you one i would contact microsoft and see what they say.

12. ScrabbleVoice

When I bought this PC, it was an HP refurbished with Vista pre-installed (see above posts). Modublin, I'm assuming from your recent post that I contact MS for a Vista CD?

13. unbidden

unbidden

14. Masterman10

Masterman10

Vista does have a diffrent style boot manager, but you are able to force it to use XP's boot manager. This sometimes works just on its own by copying the files. Yet, on some computers you do need a 3rd party software. There are many free ones, I use EasyBCD. Also, you contact HP first about a Vista CD for they are who built your computer and where you got it.

15. petemason99

petemason99

I also run xp and vista in a dual boot system. I also recently had issues. ntldr missing etc., but on my xp op sys.

I eventually managed to solve the problem by installing easyBCD in vista

With this app it is very simple to change the default boot op sys. Also the timeout. Ie time u get to change to other op sys. Also name of op sys.

But most importantly for me and I hope u, it showed that XP (my default op sys) was trying to boot from a deleted partition. This can easily be changed to the correct drive. Go into change settings, and under "choose op sys to change associated settings" Choose the faulty op sys and hopefully u will see that it is trying to boot from the wrong drive. Just type in letter of drive:\, ie D:\

I think my problems arose from deleting partitions with partition magic. I also made a restore to a previous HDD image (using ghost 2003) just before i had the issue.

Unfortunately easy BCD only works on Vista, but for anybody having this issue on a single boot op sys with XP, the missing ntldr problem on startup can be fixed by going into the microsoft recovery console, and type in fixboot at the prompt.

Finally, if u really can`t find ntldr and NTDETECT on the XP partition (although I find hard to believe that they have been lost) u can easily copy and paste them directly from folder i386 in an XP installation disk. Paste them directly in the root of the XP partition. U can perform this while running your Vista sys. Hope this helps. Pete.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice