1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP vs 7 - thoughts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tankollie, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tankollie

tankollie Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Currently running a 32 bit OS with Vista. My computer supports 64 bit, but I am not sure how to go about installing it. Ive tried installing XP 64 and Windows 7 64, but I cannot not proceed to the setup because my operating system is not compatible. Ive tried restarting and booting from the CD and doesn't work.

But to my question, I currently have 2 GB of RAM, and going to 4 GB. As you guys know, 32 bit OS wont recognize anything past 3. Would you recommend going with XP or 7 if you are looking for a fast robust system.

Thanks,

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can certainly upgrade from Windows Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit. You'll have to do a custom install which will wipe out the existing Windows installation and move it to a Windows.old folder. You have to boot from the Windows 7 installation disk. You can't run it from within Windows Vista. If you want to do that, provide more details as to what isn't working.

3. tankollie

tankollie Thread Starter

That would be ideal. I have tried very hard to boot from the Windows 7 disk and it doesn't seem to work. I cant seem to get into my BIOS to specify booting from CD as primary option. Which is what I gather I have to do. I read on the internet all I have to do is just make sure the Windows 7 DVD is inserted when I boot my computer and that should work, although it doesnt seem to do anything? And of course I cant install it when my computer is loaded up.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS? Or press a key indicated on the boot screen for Boot Options or Boot from CD/DVD or something similar? If the computer is new enough to handle Windows 7, then it certainly supports booting from a legitimate Windows 7 installation disk, and then you can install it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice