Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP vs Home - Multi-processor support.

900 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Magalon 
#1 ·
Hey you guys. Building a new computer with an X2 AMD processor, and while reading up on the differences between XP Pro and XP Home I noticed this on a few sites:

From Microsofts site:
Scalable processor support – up to two-way multi-processor support.
From another site:
Multi-processor support - Windows XP Pro supports up to two microprocessors, while Home Edition supports only one.
Am I getting all of this wrong? Does it really mean that a dual core processor won't do crap when dealing with applications in Home, because it's not supported? Or are they talking about two actual processors connected into one computer?

#5 ·
Sorry, I didn't post that right. It was that quote, and then two "lights" on the side, one for Home one for Pro, wether the feature was supported or not was showed by the light, if it's on, it's supported, if it's off, it's not.

Scalable processor support – up to two-way multi-processor support. The light was off on Home, and on with Pro.

#6 ·
Go to the following and do some searching

http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

From what was posted I would say that XP Home does not support dual processors and I know that XP Pro does. THe above site will start you on a searching research quest to find your answer.

#9 ·
I have installed Home on a system with a dual core processor ( AMD ) and both seem to function . . I think the difference must be that Professional v ersion will handle two physical processors, Home will not, but will handle one processor with dual cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.