1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP vs partitions over 37gb?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by props, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. props

props Thread Starter

Hi all!

I am getting ready to fire up my new computer for the first time and went to Western Digital's site (the hd I have installed) to see if there were any issues that I should be aware of. Both WD and MS say that XP will not support partitions over 37gb in size when formatted as a FAT drive. They say to format as a NTFS instead as it is a superior system. I have never heard of this and neither have any of my friends. One has an 80gb drive (mine is 40gb) and he has it set up as a FAT32 drive. Windows is recoginzing the entire 80gb in one partition. What gives here?

Cheers,

Props

2. marcg

marcg

Any particular reason why you absolutely have to format the hdd in FAT? I really recommend formatting it to NTFS. It is a definite upgrade from the old FAT formats. Windows XP will perform best I'm sure with the "New Technology File System". There really is no reason to want to have it formatted to FAT.

marcg

3. rekash

rekash

What you read is right, NTFS is superior to FAT32. It's much more secure and stable that FAT32. I don't believe there's a limit to the size of drive it will support (though I seem to remember something about 111 gb). There's absolutely no reason why you should use FAT32 over NTFS.

4. props

props Thread Starter

Hi marcq and rekash,

No reason at all, I'd rather have NTFS but I have heard horror stories about apps that ran great on Win 98SE under FAT32 not working at all on NTFS with XP. I write magazine articles on Word 2000 and I use GoBack which I would hate to be without. As long as I won't have any problems with that and transferring my writing projects from Win 98SE to the new XP with NTFS I'll be happy as a clam.

Thanks for the info, very helpful bunch on these forums!

props

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice