1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP vs. Win2K?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Mulderator, Dec 1, 2001.

Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

OK everyone, time for a "useful" thread :) I was wondering what those of you who use XP think about it and how does it compare to Win2K? Does it have the same problems with some games not being able to be played on it. Is it better than 2K, more stable? I dual boot to Win98, but I really don't use it anymore, so I am thinking of installing XP. I originally dual booted to 98 so my kids could play games that wouldn't run on 2K, but they just don't play those games anymore (typical--screamed at me when I changed to Win2K 'cuase some of their games wouldn't work!!!).

What's the verdict on XP?

2. deuce

deuce

I don't have Xp yet... but I am planning to as soon as I can. I have poked through some friends' computers with Xp and it seems great... real stable and I haven't heard anything about certain games not playing... the only two gripes I heard and can really remember and think are worth considering were from Mike that he doesn't like how they make home limited to make you buy pro... and some other people have complained about all lot of old hardware not working correctly or not being supported. Although it seems with a fresh install the only hardware problems you will have are those with things that just aren't supported at all.

Take a lot at THIS poll I started some time back that should give you a good sense of Xp and help you decide whether you should upgrade.

I am impressed that ms came up with such a good and stable OS... and plan to upgrade as soon as I can... :)

As of now I think the results were 28 to 5 in favor of XP... :D

3. angel

angel

I have XP Pro and I absolutely love it. In comparison to 95/98/ME/NT, there's not question. But it hasn't turned me completely away from 2000 so I dual boot them right now. There's at least one thing I still do in 2000 that I can't in XP (burning audio cd's - doesn't work right in XP for me) but that's mainly because I haven't dished out the bucks for a decent software package compatible with XP.
    I think in the beginning, you'll need to tweak it a bit for your level since it seems aimed at the below average --> average user but once that's done it's great!

4. hewee

hewee

5. Mulderator

Geez Angel, I thought I was at least an "average" user--I guess I'll just have to wait until the "light" version comes out.

6. imustbeanidiot

imustbeanidiot

Mulder,

Are you sure that you dont mean......."until I see the light"
    (or was that in another forum?)

imustbeanidiot...............................

(they wish)

7. angel

angel

I meant you'd need to tweak it since you're ABOVE the target audience!

Seriously - you will find it insulting!

8. Mulderator

Oh yeah right, Angel--now you're trying to suck up after insulting me :)

9. Dark Star

Dark Star

10. deuce

deuce

Have you heard about the recent security vulnerability with Xp? It was just announced a few days ago. There is a patch for it out on a couple of sites... but unfortunately I can't think of any right now.

11. Dark Star

Dark Star

deuce,

I'm using Win 98se.........

XPee is not for me at least at this time anyway. :p

DS

12. Dark Star

Dark Star

deuce,

"Have you heard about the recent security vulnerability with Xp? It was just announced a few days ago. There is a patch for it out on a couple of sites... but unfortunately I can't think of any right now."

here it be........

http://www.moosoft.com/

DS

13. deuce

deuce

Ah... thanks for posting the link. It was too late last night to search for it amongst my hundreds of links in favorites. :rolleyes:

14. hewee

hewee

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice