1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP will not boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by adanedhel728, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adanedhel728

adanedhel728 Thread Starter

I tried to open an flv file in Winamp and XP froze up, and will not start up again except in Safe Mode. The XP splash screen comes up, but then the screen goes blank. I had not installed ANY programs, hardware, or changed anything since my previous successful startup. In fact, trying to open that file was the only thing I had done since starting up.

If anyone can guide me to figure out how to find the problem so I don't have to reformat, it would be great. I just don't want to spend the time to reformat. Right now I'm resorting to Ubuntu, which I can't stand.

2. Athan

Athan

If you can boot into safe mode then please try a system restore to a point before the problem started !

~a

3. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Try system restore
    Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
    pick a restore point right before this happened.

I didn't think Winamp could open .flv files anyway.

4. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Yup. Sorry Athan didn't see you there.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Or, tap F8 on startup to get boot options and try the "Last Good..." option.

6. adanedhel728

Right, I didn't do that at first because I didn't want to lose my work, but I completely forgot that system restore doesn't affect that. Sorry for the dumb question. Thanks.

7. adanedhel728

Oh, yeah, Winamp can open flv files, but you have you install a second program to get it to do it.

8. Athan

Athan

So, did the restore fix the issue ?

~a

9. adanedhel728

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, restore fixed the issue temporarily, but it was consistently needing to be restored. I was having to restore about once a week. So I just reformatted. I really wanted to reformat anyway to get rid of my Linux partition so I could have more room for XP, so it's not TOO big of a deal. I tried upgrading to Vista, but I'm having too many problems so I'm going to downgrade back to XP.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice