XP will not execute lnk or exe files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ScotSheldon

Starting XP is fine until it opens and then opens a box that asks me to designate a file with which to open Acrobat.assistant.lnk. No lnk or exe files will execute. Clicking on a file or link just gets the box that asks for a file to use to run the program. I can use Mozilla and Outlook. Acrobat opens to read PDF email attachments. Windows Media Player will not open. This just started when I booted up yesterday. No installations or changes from one day to the next.

Help and the restore registry don't work. I have not used the Recovery Console to change the registry to the Windows\repair and then run the registry recovery because I am hoping these is an easier fix. Thanks Scot

HP Pavillion ze5615sr XP SR1

Click start, run, type cmd, click ok.
Type the following pressing enter after each line:

assoc.exe=exefile

assoc.lnk=lnkfile

Close the command prompt and try those files again. You may have to reboot for this fix to take effect.

System restore is another option.

ScotSheldon

Thanks Mike but cmd.exe opens a box asking for a program to open it with.

I tried Norton Systems Works but I was only able to verify that the boot was not infected. No diagnosis or repair utilities can be executed. Scot

ScotSheldon

Looks like it is fixed. I bit the bullet and replaced the registry files with the ones in C:\windows\repair per MS knowledge Base Article - 307545 using the Recovery Console.

Thanks for the help. I learned a some good information. Scot

Bryan

Bryan
I'd suggest scanning for a virus with an up to date AV program if you haven't already. The problems you described are some of the symptoms of a virus infection. It may or may not be a virus but I definitely scan the drive to be sure.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online