1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp will not install boot seq correct

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gnilrac, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gnilrac

Gnilrac Thread Starter

Hi there I have compaq d310 and I am trying to reinstall xp.it refuses to boot from any bootable CD even though the bios is set to boot from CD first. Am I missing something as its driving me crazy.thanks in advance for advice

2. sonexpc

sonexpc

if the set BIOS is correct ... then will either the CD Drive has read problem or the Media Boot Sector is corrupted or demage..

If you have another Bootable CD you can try...if you try couple and all is teh same result ... then may be the drive... also see any function can call up the boot option menu..

3. Gnilrac

Gnilrac Thread Starter

Thanks for reply.I have tried different boot CDs windows Linux u name it but it still skips the install CD and searches for boot from hard drive.I am sure the bios is set to boot from CD as it even states so in it and when trying to boot.Yet if I disconnect the hard drive then it finds a install CD and will boot from it.My jumpers and IDe cables are properly set to master for hard disk and master to CD drive;CD is on its own secondary cable.Changing jumpers has had no effect.Any ideas?ps I have tried different hard drives too so that rules them out..

4. sonexpc

sonexpc

What Motherboard ? is there have a short cut to call Boot Menu

5. Gnilrac

Gnilrac Thread Starter

Thanks again for replying!I really appreciate it.all I know of the moboard is its intel 845 chipset there are no bios updates available.The bootmenu is pretty basic with setting what boots first and then saving it. I have disabled all security passwords or defaults in bios and can't think of what else to do.Surely there cannot be a lock on the pc as to loading another os system?

6. sonexpc

sonexpc

I would say may be the CD-DRIVE is too old ... so they may take longer to read a bootable CD.... and while it read the CD ... it can not find the boot section in the "Time Require Period" so it bypass it...

While you not connect the HD it force to boot from the CD and allow longer read period so ... it can boot up finally..

7. Gnilrac

Gnilrac Thread Starter

It makes sense but the DVD drive is about 3 years old Also, I tried booting with a usb flash drive containing windows 98 boot files.It sees the flash drive but skips that too. I'll give it a shot with another DVD drive and post back tomorrow cause its 12 at night now.thanks for the new insight will let you know the outcome.

8. Gnilrac

Gnilrac Thread Starter

Hi there.I tried a drive that boots in another pc but I'm still getting same problem .now I'm stuck any other ideas?thanks

9. sonexpc

sonexpc

any thing in the BIOS is regarding to BOOT Timing... or can you see any brand of the MB is ...or any part number or model printed on the MB... so I can take a look on the BIOS menu ..

I didn't remember in 845 chipset can it choose to boot from USB ...I really don't think so...

10. Gnilrac

Gnilrac Thread Starter

Hi this is info I could get now.its Ami bios v3.31. And the date for that is 2002. There are no updates available.there is a number printed on the mboard only p48266-vmx I really appreciate your help.oh its a compaq evo d310 pc

11. Gnilrac

Gnilrac Thread Starter

Hi there I thought I'd posi back to let u know I sorted it out.I had to disable the hard drive in the bios and then it booted from CD.thanks for the help.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1039798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice