1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP will not shut down

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CuttingCrew, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew Thread Starter

For the last couple of days my XP system will not shut down. It gets to the Windows Is Shutting Down stage and hangs, I waited for over an hour but it stays the same.

I tried to use the System Restore to go back a few days but this will not work either.

I've added nothing nor changed anything on the system.

Regards....CC

2. zabusant

zabusant

When it hangs, open Task Manager to see which processes are still running;)

3. CuttingCrew

Please excuse the ignorance but how do I locate the Task Manager when all I see is the two tone blue screen, the XP logo and Windows is shutting down.

Regards....CC

4. zabusant

zabusant

Ohh, then I don't know if you'll be able to do it - but try holding Alt-Ctrl-Del. Does it shut down normally in safe mode? To go to safe mode, restart, press F8 (and hold), when the new options come up, select safe mode with command prompt;)

5. CuttingCrew

Holding Alt-Ctrl-Del has no effect and I still get the same result when running in Safe Mode, no shutdown.

Thanks for the reply though.

CC

6. zabusant

zabusant

Is your OS updated?

SHUTDOWN HANGS ON “SAVING YOUR SETTINGS”

During shutdown or reboot, Win XP may hang (stop responding) at the “saving your settings” screen. During such a hang, there is no response to Ctrl+Alt+Del; the mouse may or may not work. The problem may be intermittent.

This is a known bug in Windows XP, for which Microsoft has a supported fix. To learn how to get this patch, see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307274, “Windows XP Stops Responding (Hangs) During Windows Shutdown.” The necessary patch is included in Windows XP Service Pack 1, and also is now available on the Windows Update site under “Recommended Updates” for Win XP Professional, titled “Restarting Windows XP.” However, to find it, you may need to reconfigure how Windows Update appears for you, by enabling the Windows Update Catalog as follows: At the Windows Update page, click Personalize Windows Update at the left, and then Enable the Windows Update Catalog. Save your settings. This adds the Windows Update Catalog link in the left box. Click this link, then click Find updates for Microsoft Windows systems. Pick Windows XP in the drop-down list, click Search, take Recommended Updates, and find the “Restarting Windows XP” patch which references Q307274.

As a workaround, newsgroup correspondent “lou” resolved this problem by dismantling the Windows XP logon Welcome screen. In the Control Panel, click User Accounts, then click “Change the way users log on or off.” Uncheck the box that says “Use the Welcome screen.” This removes the initial logon screen with individual icons for each user and, instead, pops up the classic logon prompt that requires each user to type a user name and password.

7. zabusant

zabusant

Hope this does the trick;)

8. CuttingCrew

Thanks for the help, all updates done but still the same problem, will not shutdown.

CC

9. zabusant

zabusant

Did you try the workaround - unchecking "Use the Welcome screen"

10. CuttingCrew

I tried the workaround but just finished up with a blank blue screen, the system still would not shut down.

Thanks....CC

11. zabusant

zabusant

Well, if it's updated and all, maybe your system has trouble closing a specific program. Test this by manually ending all non-essential processes in Task manager BEFORE shutting down. If this will get rid of the problem, then it's only a matter of finding out which program is causing this. First, shut down any running programs, than end any non-system (and also leave the local and network services) processes. This also means, you'll end the "explorer" process and will have to do the shut down via Task manager - Shut down>Turn off.
    Please keep me up-to-date on your progress;)

12. CuttingCrew

Turned off all the processes you mentioned (there were only six) and still no shut down.

Thanks....CC

13. CuttingCrew

Anyone any help or advice please?

CC

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!