1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP will not start PERIOD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by videophreak90, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. videophreak90

videophreak90 Thread Starter

ok heres the problem:

just recently my computer has refused to go past the Starting Windows XP screen (with the stupid blue bar that scrolls < to >). it continues to hang up on that screen (the bar is still scrolling btw), i even left it there for almost an hour and nothing happened (except for the bar scrolling). so i decided to reformat my HD. well i went to put in my XP disc and after booting from disc and loading all the necessary components, it would stop on "Setup is starting Windows." so i tried putting in my Win 2000 disc and deleting the partition, that worked. so i put the XP disc back in and restarted the cpu, still hangs up on "setup is..." after a few restarts i managed to get past that and reformat the HD.

after many tedious hours of reinstalling drivers, etc. i still have the problem, it still stops at the scrolling blue bar screen. i tried restarting the computer in safe mode but it will not go past:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/Drivers/MUP.sys

now i am completely lost and frustrated:mad:
    this is completely beyond my knowledge for PC repair, any help will be greatly appreciated.

quick notes: reformatting the HD did nothing; cant get past "setup is..." to repair; safe mode isnt working; starting with last known configuration didnt work either (hangs up at the starting windows screen [bear in mind that the stupid blue bar is still scrolling]).

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

I would suggest going to the hard drive manufacturers web site and downloading the hard drive diagnostics for this particular make and model number hard drive and running it to see if the hard drive is still OK.

Also I would check all connections power and IDE cable connections to make sure they are OK. If you have another hard drive I would take this one out and install the other hard drive to see if it does the same thing.

3. jsize466

jsize466

It sounds like I would just replace the hard drive. They are cheap these days 40 Gb for $40. I bet that will fix the problem.
    :eek:

4. videophreak90

videophreak90 Thread Starter

i was suggested by a friend to try a kill disk, if that doesnt work then im just gonna buy a new HD i guess thanx for the help though

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice