1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP will not start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Funkyecat, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Funkyecat

Funkyecat Thread Starter

I am working on some computers for a charity. They have Windows XP SP2 in them. One day one of the computers first gave message which stated the the time and date was off and to update through the OS. It stated to press F1 to continue. It would not boot and returned to the message which stated that if this continues, you will probably need a new battery. I got and replaced the battery. Now the loading circulates from the site that gives you the options for Safe boot, load with Last Known Good Configuration and WinXP startup screen. I tried to get into a recovery console from an old XP Home disk I had-No luck.

Any ideas.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You replaced the CMOS battery and reset the time and date - did you.
    When you say recovery console but no luck - will not boot to CD?
    or will not proceed to recovery console on R. - does the XP CD load.
    XP SP2 - which?

3. Funkyecat

Funkyecat Thread Starter

I don't think XP Home had a Recovery Console anyway. The CD booted and I went thru the process and there is no (second/automatic recovery console). I have to find someone with an XP Pro disk to try. (Note One needs the second recovery console. The first is manual)

4. Macboatmaster

I am sorry I do not have a clue what you are talking about.

All MICROSOFT XP CD`s , as against OEM xp install cd`s have the recovery console option.
    This CERTAINLY includes XP HOME.
    Neither do I know what you mean by "second/automatic" OR by "one needs the second - the first is manual"
    If you have the Microsoft XP CD you insert the CD and select R to repair the installation using the recovery console.
    The next opportunity to press R for repair is a different matter and is the Repair installation of Windows, leaving, all being well your personal data, files and programs intact. Basically in essence a reinstallation of WINDOWS ONLY without formatting the drive.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:
    1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted.
    2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
    4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
    5. At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to diagnose and repair your Windows XP installation.

5. Funkyecat

Funkyecat Thread Starter

I know how to use the Recovery Console!
    If you go further than the first 'Repair' and proceed to installations, when you designate the partition you can press R and Windows will install all the basic files from the original disk w/o affecting settings or anything else. WP Home does not have the RC.

6. Funkyecat

Funkyecat Thread Starter

P.S. The problem with the first recovery Console setting is what to try first (Fixboot, Fix MBR...) I would ather reinstall the Windows files first before trying this.

7. Macboatmaster

Your quote
    My preceding post.

Good luck I will leave it with you.

8. surferdude2

surferdude2

I have used the RC on many XP Home systems. It's available on any full retail version of the MS XP operating system setup CD. Sadly it is rarely installed so as to be available as a boot option except when I force it upon all gear that I work on.

Here's what you need to do as a first step in repairing those old clunkers that have XP on them and won't boot.

9. Funkyecat

Funkyecat Thread Starter

You are correct. XP Home has the access to the first 'R' but not the second. Thanks for the tip. I'll try Chkdsk first then....

10. Macboatmaster

I will leave this with suferdude2 - but for you future information there is NO second recovery console.
    The second R option when pressing enter to setup windows is the REPAIR OPTION.
    If the repair option is not showing, it could mean that boot.ini file is damaged which can then be repaired with the recovery console.
    In your case it is more likely to be that XP HOME can only be repaired with XP Home and XP Pro with XP Pro and a repair installation can only be carried out with further like for like ie: SP3 to SP3 etc.

11. surferdude2

surferdude2

Don't bail out early Mac. You'll very likely be needed since I'm heading for the dinner table. ;) Then to the couch. :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice