1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP will only boot on battery power

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jp1203, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

Here's a strange one:

On my Thinkpad R31, if it is plugged into an outlet, XP hangs on the splash screen, it even hangs on all safe modes. If I unplug it and let it boot off the battery, it boots perfectly fine. Once it's booted, I can run it off the adapter without a problem. The adapter charges the battery fine, and the battery holds a charge for a little over three hours of light use (web browsing, word processing).

Any ideas as to why it does this? I've tested it several times and it always boots without a flaw off the battery, but never off the adapter. I don't even know what to begin with here its so strange.

Thanks,

Joe

BTW, it stops at mup.sys when booting in safe mode.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Could be the power supply causing it have you tried another power supply?

3. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

No, only because I don't have another. I checked with a friend a while back and his are all much higher voltage.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Well the power supply especially on startup is critical....and I can't think of anything else it is an odd one.

If the power supply is a bit off on startup but is alright after its warmed up that would explain a bit....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice