XP will only boot on battery power

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jp1203

Here's a strange one:

On my Thinkpad R31, if it is plugged into an outlet, XP hangs on the splash screen, it even hangs on all safe modes. If I unplug it and let it boot off the battery, it boots perfectly fine. Once it's booted, I can run it off the adapter without a problem. The adapter charges the battery fine, and the battery holds a charge for a little over three hours of light use (web browsing, word processing).

Any ideas as to why it does this? I've tested it several times and it always boots without a flaw off the battery, but never off the adapter. I don't even know what to begin with here its so strange.

Thanks,

Joe

BTW, it stops at mup.sys when booting in safe mode.

Could be the power supply causing it have you tried another power supply?

jp1203

No, only because I don't have another. I checked with a friend a while back and his are all much higher voltage.

Well the power supply especially on startup is critical....and I can't think of anything else it is an odd one.

If the power supply is a bit off on startup but is alright after its warmed up that would explain a bit....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online