1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP/Win2k duel boot problem?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Talismanic, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Talismanic

Talismanic Thread Starter

I am having a problem with my XP/Win2k duel boot. I divided the drive in two and then installed Win2K on the second partition (E:). I made sure everything was working on Win2k and then put my rcovery disk into the CD Rom and rebooted. Since it is a recovery disk and not a shrink wrapped version, XP it is ghosted onto the C drive instead of being installed to it.

When it is done I edit the boot.ini to include Win2k. Now I can boot either OS and it works great except for one thing. Something must get over written on the C drive during the ghost that disables/breaks IIS on my Win2k install.

When I try and start the IIS Admin mmc or any of the IIS services it times out with an unexpected error. The only clue I have is that when I try and open a front page web (local) I get an error that says Accessing HTTP servers requires 32 bit TCP/IP networking, which is not installed or needs configuring. However, everything but the IIS works and I have been able to reproduce this so I know it was not a bad install. Any ideas?

In case you are wondering I do need IIS because I am developing some scripts for a client that uses Access with IIS 5 at his server.

2. volrathxp

volrathxp

if you are using windows 2000, why are you dual-booting xp? or just use xp, it has IIS with it. first, xp should not interfere with anything on 2000's partition unless you decided to put your page file on that partition. are you using ntfs? and why are you ghosting xp instead of installing it from disk? try reinstalling 2000, and then install xp, full and clean from the original xp disk. should not have any problems then. i know you have just "the recovery version" but it may be that fact that you're ghosting it that may prevent you from doing IIS. also, try this. just because you installed 2k does not mean it installs tcp/ip. you may need drivers for your nic card if 2000 does not have them already. if it does and tcp/ip is installed. reinstall it. hope i helped.

volrathxp

3. Talismanic

I bought a lap top with XP Home edition installed on it. All the drivers and programs are pre configured for XP. The DVD software and burner software won't work on Win2K for some reason. Given enough time I could probably get everything working ok but I kinda like XP and only need Win2k for the webserver.

The HE of XP does not include IIS and MS has made it impossible to install it or PWS. Supposedly there used to be a KB article of how to get the NT 4 Option Pack to work with XP home but if it existed it has been removed from MS's site.

I need an OS with a IIS/PWS webserver so that I can test asp scripts that will be uploades to an IIS server.

I agree but there must be something on the system partition Win2k is looking for because I have been able to duplicate the error more then once with two clean installs. Everything in 2K works until I put XP back on the first partition.

HP used Ghost for the recovery process. There are no visible install files on the CD. Basicaly you put the CD (there are 3) in the drive and reboot and the files get uncompressed and copied over to the C drive. There are no install options included.

Everything in Win2k works until I overwrite the C drive. I am able to run my scripts as I do on my desk top. All services run as they should. I couldn't figure how to remove TCP/IP but I removed my network card and modem hoping that when they were redetected by the OS the binding would force the system to reinstall the protocol. I was also able to access a workgroup with my NIC so I don't think the problem is with TCP/IP. I even looked through the registry to see if maybe a path for the inetpub may have been marked C instead of D.

I just can not figure out what the problem is. By the way, thanks for the reply.

4. angel

angel

Can you do the reverse? Put XP on first (using that image) and make sure it works grand. Then install 2000 over the top?

5. Talismanic

Angel I tried it but 2K overwrite some file that XP needs. I got some error that said something about a system file missing or corrupt and to press R to repair during next boot.

I must of missed something because I went around in circles with it. I was also told by others not to do it (the install) this way so I just figured that there must of been something to the warning and didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure it out.

6. angel

angel

I hadn't tried it but it doesn't surprise me it doesn't work... It was worth a shot!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice