1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP/Win98SE Dual Boot Question

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by raybro, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Moderators... Uncertain of where this one belonged. Please move it to proper forum if you feel so inclined.

Hi guys and gals... Still workin on the plan for my daughters new custom built PC. It in component selection phase at this time. Question before me at this point regards dual booting XP and Win98SE.

I've done some reading here....

http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/dual/dual9xother.html

It is very helpful in a number of aspects. However, I'm still unclear about a couple of things...

1. Do I need to install hardware drivers in both OS's. For instance... Non-MS printer software and drivers.

2. When installing applications which insert Registry keys as part of the install process (i.e. Word, Quicken, NSW, etc). Same question as above. Do I need to install them on both OS's in order to have them available for use with both OS's.

As is pretty obvious, I've never used a dual boot system and I'm sure these are pretty basic questions which will become quite clear after the fact. I'm just trying to get some idea of what to expect. Any help or referals to tutorial sites would be much appreciated.

2. dai

dai

the drivers for xp will not work with 98 and vice versa
    is there a reason you need both operating systems

3. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

I'm aware of that. It's the basic reason for my question. Does your response signify that I would need to install drivers for printers, modems, etc in each OS independantly?

What about the second part of my question regarding application programs... Any input on that aspect?

As to why I want to dual boot in the first place. Call it a quest for knowledge and experience. Do you, personally, have a dual boot system or experience with one.

4. brianF

brianF

Yes, each os operate's independently. You will need to install everything into each os for it to work with that os. Especially if you install xp in ntfs. When you boot 98 it won't even see that drive partition that is format in ntfs

5. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks brianF... That's kinda what I was coming around to, but could find no info specific to the subject. You would happen to have a link to a tutorial about it?

BTW... will probably use FAT32 format for both OS's just so common files can be read with either.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Be careful about "common files" :) You can't install and hope to use one copy of an application for the two O/S versions, you need a separate partition with it's own "Program Files" directory.

7. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks for the response johnwill... Let me feedback to you my understanding of what you said. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are saying I need to create another partition where I could install program applications I want to be able to access from both OS's. If that is correct, Which OS do I use as the vehicle to install the program and how do Registry keys enter into this method.

For instance... If I used Win98SE to install Norton SystemWorks and installed it on a partition created for "Common Programs", when I booted into XP how would XP know NSW was even there. There would be nothing in the XP registry about NSW. Hope I've explained my confusion adequately.

I know I can install programs on a seperate partition from the boot partition when there is only one OS, because I do that all the time with my current system. But how does one do this in a dual boot configuration.

If I even try think about GoBack in this regard, it becomes so convoluted it makes my head hurt. Perhaps I'm making this entire question more complex than it needs to be. I do tend to do that. If you can help me understand this aspect of dual booting, I would be eternally in your debt. :confused:

8. mobo

mobo

Ray: You will be able to access all files on 98 from xp but not vise versa as fat cannot see that ntfs even exists. You can add a swap partition for programs and format it as a fat partition for usage from 98.

9. mobo

mobo

I personally just set the number of partitions as per number of operating systems and run each independently free standing. All programs like virus scanners, firewalls etc should be installed on each. With programs like word you could install on 98 then explore to it from xp if you wish so.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice