1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Windows File Protection question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TKL, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TKL

TKL Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm trying to trouble shoot for my friend. He uses Win XP home editon and recently updated using auto update feature in XP home. He never got the manuel for XP home and may have gotten the same OEM addition installed on his machine and possibly on other machines as well since he bough it from the corner store computer shop.

** Recently he's been getting this error message: **
    Windows File Protection
    File that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files. Insert your windows XP professional CD, retry more info cancel.

He does not have XP Pro, only XP home. Tried going back some days on restore but error message still comes up. Thinking about reinstalling XP but don't want to do that. Also thinking about borrowing somebody's XP PRO disc to see if that solves the problem. Any insight or possible solving it wud be great. Thanks.

2. Wishing Bubble

Wishing Bubble

Hi TKL

Firstly, has your friend got a Windows XP Home disk? If not then it would be prudent for him to obtain his own legitimate copy of Windows XP, either Home or Pro. If you try using another windows xp disk with a different product key code, then you could run into problems because each disk can only be loaded on to one machine, not one disk on to serveral machines....its a M/S security system built in to the programme. (multiple machines require multilple licences.)

The one thing that suprises me is that you say he's using windows xp home but the error message quotes inserting windows xp professional CD. Are you sure he's got XP Home? and not XP Pro?
    Unfortunately, you definitely need a Windows XP disk to correct the problems you have with the wrong versions of the files. I purchased my legit copy of Windows XP Pro from Ebay at a very reasonable price (£75).

Hope that some help :)

3. PlatinumDrag

PlatinumDrag

Sounds like he downloaded the wrong file or patch. Go back to the MS download page and look under download history on the left, find the name of the offending download and remove it most can be removed from the control panal, (replace the correct download if there is one).

Or go in under recovery and do a quick recovery, you won't loose any of your files you have. Only the full recovery will erasre them, hopefully that will work before doing a complete roll back.

P.S. Make sure he didn't try to install Pro over home, without removing the other.

4. TKL

TKL Thread Starter

Thanks for replies so far. His computer is 4 mts old, he thought he had a legit copy of XP from the corner store computer shop. I'm sure he has XP home, but somehow downloaded XP Pro update files. I'm fairly sure he has the wrong patch but it was done via auto update.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The message re XP Professional is a red herring. MS have goofed, all XP Home give that message when that problem arises.

Its possible the OEM version of Windows XP is loaded on the HDD, perhaps in a hidden partition. Its not unusual to not get a CD in these circumstances. Its legit, even if inconvenient.

Fron the Start menu, select Run

Type sfc /scannow

Press Enter. (There is a space after "sfc", before the "/scannow")

If that does not ask for the CD when it checks and replaces the damaged files, then the OS must be available on the HDD. If it does ask for it, cancel and beat up on the shop.

6. TKL

TKL Thread Starter

Thks kiwiguy, will try that too. Maybe will try beating up on the corner store computer shop as well !

:)

7. TKL

TKL Thread Starter

Thks Kiwiguy, the sfc /scannow, help the most, I just gotta fix a few minor things. Thanks to everybody who responded.

8. horrorofdeb

horrorofdeb

Ok I'm having the same problems too.My computer did not come with the windows xp home edition cd-rom. I tried to get help from my help and support center,but it says I'm not connected,but I am.Can anyone help me get this windows file protection off my screen?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice