xp won't assign drive letter!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

berbes

hello-

i reformatted, and when i reinstalled xp, it didn't automatically find my extra drive where all my 'live & die' files live. i took this screenprint so hopefully it will explain what i can't. when i right click on the drive to assign/change a letter, the option is dimmed.

?

thanks!
berbes

Attachments

berbes

separate drives, same cable. dvd-r is on secondary cable with the last drive virtual.

big garage is what i name the unseen drive years ago.

thanks for this help, guys!

If both drives are on the same cable, they should either both be set for cable select, or the system drive should be set as master, and the drive plugged into the middle of the cable should be set as slave. If they are set correctly, try a complete cold boot. Start/Shut Down, then when the computer has shut down, turn off the power supply, (the switch on the back near the power cable). Then unplug the power cable. Wait about a minute, then plug the power cable back in, turn the switch back on, and restart the computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.