1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't boot after drive transplant

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nathanb, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nathanb

nathanb Thread Starter

Hi all,

I moved my hard drive from my Lenovo laptop into my Asus Eee PC netbook. When I started the netbook, after POST all I got was a black screen with a cursor in the upper left corner.

I thought that the migration should work OK because this was a 32-bit version of Windows XP, and the Atom processor in the Asus should support the x86 instruction set. However, I don't know much about Windows, so maybe this was a dumb thought.

I did verify that the BIOS can find the drive.

It required major surgery to replace the drive, so any solution requiring me to remove the transplant drive is not going to fly.

Keeping in mind that the netbook has no optical drive and that I have no other Windows computers (all my other computers run Linux), is there any way I can fix this problem?

Thanks!
    Nathan

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

You can surely replace hard drives in these computers, but not to start up from ones that have Windows installations that were used and Activated , in a previous running computer.... the hardware mismatch would trigger Windows Activation for one thing, which would fail since the license has been used in another hardware configuration (totally different computer), which for an OEM version of XP or newer is a no no. And often, there just is a no boot situation. Blue screens, error messages, that kind of thing.

I will leave you to the netbook experts, but I do think they have a capability to boot from USB flash drives or external hard drives, which is apparently how they would have the OS installed on them. Possibly, external optical drives work, in some models....

Please post the Model ID found usually on a tag or label underneath the computer case.

If there was a blank or formatted hard drive put in the netbook, you still would usually only see a "No operating system found" or similar message which is why, I think you did leave Windows installed and try to start up the netbook.... you can correct me if I am wrong.
    You cannot transfer the License for these OEM type versions of Windows..... a clean install is always the best way to go. I understand, this is a specialized situation, one that I have not had to do yet, so I prefer not to assist further, OK?

I think there are plenty of people here , who have installed on a netbook so hold on for a reply from them.

3. nathanb

nathanb Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, byteman. I didn't think I'd run into licensing issues because I believe the version of Windows XP on my laptop is covered by the site license we have at work, not the OEM license (the netbook is my new work laptop, since the only thing I use it for is e-mail anyway).

I found a program called UNetbootin which I can use to put the XP install iso on a USB drive and make it bootable. I doubt the version of XP on my disc is the same as the one on the drive (the disc is the one I got from the university when I was in college under the MSDN Academic Alliance program, but I was planning on using the site license number rather than the MSDN AA number...I swear, Microsoft's license terms are so complicated I've probably broken the law five times already without even knowing it).

Anyway, the laptop is an Asus Eee PC 1015-PEM. If these USB drive shenanigans don't work, I'll see if I can find a USB optical drive somewhere.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

I can't really say if the machines were at all similar as far as components, but even if they were quite similar', the XP startup checks the hardware environment at every startup to see if enough of the "present when originally installled" items are still there....if critical items are not found, the points total up, and Windows Activation is prompted. Your situation didn't get that far apparently.

A drastic sudden change in the hardware environment, can result in a non-booting computer, without considering the License issue if indeed there is any.

That said, we also have policy to not provide help with business type computers. You stated you are using at least one computer for your work, so I think our policy would prohibit assisting in this case.

For now anyway, I am Closing this thread. You can appeal this by messaging an Administrator here, Cookiegal is one and LauraMJ another.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice