XP won't boot after power failure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Workhorse

So our power just went for a crap here, and I had my machine with XP on. When the power came back on, it said the usual blurb about Windows not being shut down properly, and it asks me how I want to start: Normal, Safe, Safe with network, etc. Nothing works. Each option loads the XP startup screen, then goes right back to the screen where I pick which way I want Windows to load. I tried rebooting with the XP disk, but when it asked if I wanted to just install Windows without reformatting, it said the disk was corrupted or not formatted properly. (Sorry, I didn't write any of it down, but I think you know what it kinda said. I can get it word for word if anyone needs it.) I tried to use the Recovery and Repair Screen, but it brings me to a c: prompt, and I have NO idea what to do from there.

Hoping you can help, I REALLY don't want to start from scratch.

J.

Workhorse

Ok, I did that and when it rebooted it wanted to do another chkdsk. I let it, but it just keeps stalling at 4%. I rebooted, aborted the chkdsk and Windows kind of started. When it came to the login screen, it said 'C:\Progra~1 is corrupt and unreadable.' It still booted in, then said 'user.init.exe' is corrupt, and it promptly rebooted itself. Same errors upon reboot.

Workhorse

Just thought of something...if I can get in that far, can I use the System Restore function?

Workhorse

I answered my own question - system restore doesn't work.

I tried to copy over the userinit.exe file from a working XP machine to mine, but when I boot from CD and go to the recovery screen, it asks me 'Which Windows installation would you like to log into?

Anyone know the answer to that?

Workhorse

Bumping, because I still don't know how to fix the 'C:\Program Files is corrupt and unreadable' error. I can get into windows, and SEE all my stuff, but cannot run programs or back anything up.

Workhorse

The first time I tried a repair re-install, it told me my disk was too corrupted. I did another chkdsk and a re-install worked. It still crashes often, some data was lost, and not all programs work, but I can get the majority of my stuff off and then I'll just do a complete reformat.

Another thing I've noticed in searching high and low for an answer to this. It seems this has been happening with some regularity, and some people have attributed it to spyware or a virus. A friend called me today and said his computer won't let him log in at all. I've been blaming the power outage, but now I'm not so sure.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online