1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Won't Boot After Vista Dual Boot Installation

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by 5wood, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 5wood

5wood Thread Starter

I have a PC with a Intel D850EMV2 motherboard. It has 1024MB of Samsung RAMBUS memory. With Windows XP Pro installed on my C: drive I installed Windows Vista Ultimate on the D:
    drive in a dual boot setup. Then when I restarted it the first time it would not boot up. I get the NTLDR missing error. Then I put in my XP install cd and got into the setup repair. Then I typed in fixboot and let setup fix the boot and restarted my PC. Now I can boot into XP but not Vista. Now I have lost my dual boot .ini file. I cannot boot into vista. I figured it would be a waste of time to go through the same routine again... it was. I got the same results. Has anyone had and fixed this problem?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Boot from the Vista DVD and run Startup Repair. Vista does not use any boot.ini file.

3. randy_california

randy_california

I had this same problem with a cloned duel boot XP/Vista.
    Installed the utility VistaBootPRO on XP and used this program which is a Vista Boot Manager to easily fix the boot configuration for Vista.

4. wisdomcb

wisdomcb

My problem is similar. With XP Pro installed on my C:\, I got Vista Home Prem, which would not let me upgrade, so I installed it on my D:\ partition on the same disk. After the install, Vista made the D:\ the primary partition and D:\ -> C:\ and it fails to recognize my XP installation. EasyBCD adds standardize code that doesn't apply to my XP partition.

So yeah I cannot boot into XP. How can I make bcdedit recognize XP?

5. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

See post #2
    FYI Vista will always say it is on "C", even if it is on "G."

6. Athanasian Creed

Athanasian Creed

Chance are it did that because the person booted from the Vista DVD rather than run it from within XP.

Do as Randy_California advised, it will fix the MBR, allow you to choose which o/s you want to start first, etc.

Ray :)

7. wisdomcb

wisdomcb

can you suggest how I can boot into XP so I can do what Randy_california did? XP install disk does nothing to re-write the XP MBR and deleting vistas MBR just ends the preboot sequence of:
    "cannot find NTLDR
    press ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart"

8. Athanasian Creed

Athanasian Creed

From what you said, i believe you can boot into XP but not into Vista right??

If so, forget the XP install disk. You used that to try and fix the MBR. What that did was hose the Windows bootloader, not allowing you to boot into Vista.

What you need to do is find the program VistaBoot Pro (latest version is 3.2 i think) Install it from within XP and run it to fix the MBR between XP & Vista.

Hopefully, you have XP on 'C' drive/partition and Vista on 'D' If Vista shows up as 'C' drive when you boot into it, it is because you booted from the Vista DVD rather than install from within XP.

Hopefully that was the info. you were after - if not, more enlightenment or someone more knowledgeable is needed.

God knows, i've had plenty of problems with an XP/Vista dual-boot - i've even experienced the errors you are experiencing now.

9. wisdomcb

wisdomcb

Actually quite the opposite. I cannot boot into XP. Thanks for the help so far Btw.

10. randy_california

randy_california

Ok, to fix the NTLDR error with the XP boot.
    Boot with the XP disk, select R for the recovery console, type fixboot at the command.
    XP will now boot fine.
    Then as Ray said install VistabootPro on XP and the program will install the bootloader for Vista.
    I been back and forth with this quite a few times.
    VistabootPro or EasyBCD work like magic.

11. Athanasian Creed

Athanasian Creed

Did you not say "Now I can boot into XP but not Vista." And "I cannot boot into vista."
    ??

Are you saying you can't boot into either XP OR Vista at the moment??

I'm confoosed!! :confused:

Ray :D

12. Athanasian Creed

Athanasian Creed

Oops, didn't see Randy's post - thx Randy!! (y)

13. Athanasian Creed

Athanasian Creed

Randy, not to hijack the thread BUT whenever i've used the XP recovery console, it asks for a password (which i've never set) Hitting 'enter' just repeats the need for a password???

Ever hear of such a thing before??

14. wisdomcb

wisdomcb

Ok I never said I could get into XP, that is my problem.. logging into XP.

The XP install disk, including using fixboot, does not work or it does not re-write my MBR.

Just to clear confusion, I can boot into Vista. Its Vista Home Pre, so I when I tried to upgrade my XP, it would not give me that option, so I booted from the Vista disk and put Vista on my empty partition on the same disk as XP.

The screen that lets me select O/S does not give me the option to boot into XP. Deleting Vista MBR just gives me that "cannot load NTLDR.." message mentioned above. Running the windows Xp install disk, hitting R, then fixboot does not effect the Vistas MBR. So yeah thats where I am at.

15. wisdomcb

wisdomcb

Fixboot doesn't work, see my longer recent reply. Can get into Vista. Cannot get into XP

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice