1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't boot all the way after cleaning..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zhuria, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zhuria

Zhuria Thread Starter

XP not booting completely; restored, booted, but very choppy performance

This was my original post (I felt sure it was hardware related)

I checked to see if the CD-rom was actually reading disks in safe mode (it works fine), so I did a system restore to two days ago.

It worked somewhat. It got further in the boot (I was able to ctrl+alt+del) and then hung. I started stopping nonessential programs to see if anything helped, when I stopped rstrui.exe Windows booted all the way. Then I realized that was the Restore program, so maybe I screwed something up. It booted but is still really, really effed up. It's slow as heck and just not working like it usually does.

I'm not sure what to do. Or even where to put this. It could be a problem with XP or it could very well be some kind of virus (I'm running AVG in safe mode right now, typing this on my crappy Dell laptop). Basically just looking for someone to walk me through troubleshooting it.

Thanks in advance; any help greatly appreciated as it's my work computer.

2. aks88

aks88

Check whether you can use read from your CD drive in safe mode. If it is reading then please change the section to Windows XP.

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    The fact that it works OK in safe mode but doesn't when you boot normally would lead me to think that the problem is either a driver or other program that is trying to run on startup. If it was a hardware problem I would expect it to occur in safe mode aswell.

4. DerekC

DerekC

I agree with Tanis. Have you tried a system restore, to when it was working?

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

5. Zhuria

Zhuria Thread Starter

Thanks guys :)

CD-rom works fine.

System restore worked somewhat. It got further in the boot (I was able to ctrl+alt+del) and then hung. I started stopping nonessential programs to see if anything helped, when I stopped rstrui.exe Windows booted all the way. Then I realized that was the Restore program, so maybe I screwed something up. It booted but is still really, really effed up.

I'll start a topic in XP now - thanks for the help (saved me from taking it in to the shop!), and I'm sorry for the wrong section! (I thought it was too coincidential that the problems started after I was digging around in the case)

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I have closed that post - continue here - if you want the post moved to the XP forum, click on the report at the bottom of each post and someone will move this post

7. Zhuria

Zhuria Thread Starter

Ahh.. I'm very sorry. I didn't know I could request to have it moved. My apologies

8. Zhuria

Zhuria Thread Starter

Ok here is what I've done since, as I kind of had to guess what to do next!

I ran virus and malware scans (malwarebytes, AVG, avast) in safe mode. Found 3 viruses (one that Avast found was in system restore or something which made me hopeful this was causing my problems), cleaned them. Rebooted, same problem as before. Rebooted into safe mode, tried an earlier system restore, this time it wasn't booting all the way again, but I had access to ctrl+alt+del. Started closing nonessential programs but not rstrui.exe. Closing TuneUp Utilities allowed Windows to load all the way. Everything was running smoothly.

At this point I decided to follow the instructions in the malware forum, HJT, DDS (or whatever it is) and GMER. I got the first two done, but when I tried to run GMER I got a BSOD stop error 0x0000007F. Rebooted, tried GMER again, this time it started running but when it was midway through I got another BSOD 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xbf953e10, 0xb3283c00) win32k.sys address BF953E10 base at BF800000 DateStamp 4cc6d6a2

I don't know what to do with these. I looked in some other peoples' threads and some quick Googling and it seems like these could be hardware related. I ask again, is there any way I could have jostled the MOBO, RAM, or touched something I shouldn't have with my hands?

Please help, I really don't know what to do next.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice