1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't Boot. Already reformatted.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Katylar, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Katylar

Katylar Thread Starter

Hi. I have Windows XP Professional Edition, and about a week ago, the PC just killed itself... sometimes it wouldn't even turn on (normally the PC beeps once when booting, but sometimes it doesn't, with just a black screen, and sometimes one long beep).

At first, because the PC seemed to get better if it had a rest- for example, if the PC just died, and you tried to turn it on, it wouldn't do anything. But if you leave it a few hours of rest, it'll be able to reach the Loading Windows XP screen before dying. So it thought that it just might be the internal battery... I think it's called CMOS (correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, after letting a technician look at it, he declared the OS corrupt, and reformated and reinstalled.

And it's been okay for about a day, but it suddenly died again, and after letting it rest (when I rebooted it right away, all I got were blinking lights, no beep, and nothing on the screen), the PC stated that it couldn't start because
    "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \windows\System32\Drivers\Isapnp.sys"

and It's dead, once again. I don't have my CD currently with me.

What could have caused this? I haven't downloaded anything new, and the thumbdrive I inserted was clean - scanned with updated Avira AntiVir, AVG, and Kaspersky Online scanner (separate laptops).

Also, how can I fix it and prevent it from happening again?

thanks.

2. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
    Have a look at this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315311
    In addition to the OS trouble you're having I would be suspicious of the RAM. Before you try the above link, pop the RAM out and reseat it. If there are any empty slots try putting the RAM in the empty spot...if you get beeps it doesn't like where you put it, or you could have bad RAM. Sometimes if the computers suddenly loses power (power outtage) it can cause goofy things with the RAM.
    Good luck! :)

I just took a look at your system specs...they say it's a laptop, but you say pc in your post. Is it a laptop or a desktop computer? If it's a laptop popping the ram won't be as easy....

3. Katylar

Katylar Thread Starter

Hi... Sorry, I forgot that my specs are up on my public profile... I was talking about my old desktop computer, as my Laptop is running just fine. Sorry if I've caused some confusion on your part.

Well, after letting the thing rest for a day, it booted up just fine, and it's kept being operational for the past hour... I've uninstalled my antivirus and installed, Kaspersky, and started a scan... so far, at 7%, it's detected 3 instances of malware, all located in my c:\System Volume Information\_restore... so I'm thinking it might have been a virus after all, and letting it rest a day might have wiped any remained bugs still in my RAM...

Thanks.

4. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    you mention your thumb drive. did you get the error message you mention when booting with the thumb drive inserted? if so take it out and reboot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice